Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it generally better to move or extend?

(29 Posts)
CarolTheAncientYuletideTroll Tue 26-Dec-06 20:34:21

Message withdrawn

jalopy Tue 26-Dec-06 20:54:36

I think it's less hassle and cheaper to extend rather than move. Only extend if it adds value to your house and enhances the property, iyswim. Obviously there are a lot more factors to consider but that is my brief synopsis for you

cat64 Tue 26-Dec-06 20:58:10

Message withdrawn

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Tue 26-Dec-06 20:58:25

I believe it's generally considered better value for money to extend rather than to move, especially if moving would mean you step over a stamp-duty barrier. But you have to be careful to build an extension that really would provide added-value.

BuffysMum Tue 26-Dec-06 20:59:47

big factor is house prices where you currently live and intend to move. we live in a 3 bed terrace to get anything bigger we would most probably have to go semi which would add 50k to the price tag without it actually being any bigger!!!!!!!!!!! We're in Surrey btw. Anyway for us a loft conversion would be much cheaper as i think I worked out moving costs/solicitor/stamp duty/searches/etc/etc would be around 15k?

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Tue 26-Dec-06 21:00:20

BTW, when we moved earlier this year (also our first buy-one-sell-one move) it cost over £20k in stamp duty, commission, solicitor's fees, removals, etc.

Mumpbump Tue 26-Dec-06 21:00:45

Extend is what everyone says. Only question is convenience and having to live through the building hell. We have had two extensions done (one small, one large) - two years of building and living in a building site and one more small extension to go this summer, I wish we'd just bought a bigger house...

CarolTheAncientYuletideTroll Tue 26-Dec-06 21:12:42

Message withdrawn

Mumpbump Tue 26-Dec-06 21:16:40

Well, what sort of extension are you thinking of adding? For example, I would have though an extra bedroom would probably be good value, as would be an extra bathroom, but not so sure about an extra reception room.

CarolTheAncientYuletideTroll Tue 26-Dec-06 21:19:27

Message withdrawn

CarolTheAncientYuletideTroll Tue 26-Dec-06 21:20:30

Message withdrawn

Mumpbump Tue 26-Dec-06 21:22:19

Well, personally, I hope a utility room does add value because that's what we're doing this summer!! A second loo definitely has to be a bonus in any house and en suites are generally (I believe) regarded as adding value - can you fit a shower in there too? Not so sure about the office, but as you say, if you can relabel it a bedroom when you sell, then you might expect an increase...

CarolTheAncientYuletideTroll Tue 26-Dec-06 21:25:18

Message withdrawn

Stockingsofdinosaurs Wed 27-Dec-06 09:43:38

If you love the area stay there.
I'd go for an extra bedroom over a utility room with toilet where you can keep your washing machine and airer so you can add another kitchen cupboard where it was.
Or is your garden big enough for a log cabin type affair? They're cheap, don't need planning permission under a certain volume and can be heated, insulated what have you.
HTH

wickedwinterwitch Wed 27-Dec-06 09:44:17

I'd extend if you lik ethe house and area, it costs at least £10k to move so factor that in.

Nightynight Wed 27-Dec-06 09:57:47

Extending really does change the character of the house, and the advantage is, there is no deadline so that you can spread the cost over several years if you use your extension before its finished.

We had a bog standard ex council house, which felt cramped when we first moved in. We added a porch, which made a huge difference, also a bathroom and big kitchen. The old kitchen/bathroom then became 2nd reception room. If we'd spent a bit more, we could have added a 4th bedroom on top of the bathroom. The house has completely changed, and I am actually sad to sell it now.

foxtrottothefestivegrotto Wed 27-Dec-06 10:21:05

Consider how much garden will be left after the extension too. Estate agents talk about 'well-balanced accommodation' which basically means that there should be enough reception/living space to match the number of bedrooms (but i suppose with a bungalow your new room could be flexible, which is good).
Invite a couple of estate agents around to give valuations now and with your proposed extension - that will give you an idea of how much you should be spending and what will add value.

iota Wed 27-Dec-06 10:26:34

foxtrot - the garden thing is a good point - -I'd love to extend out house, but the garden would disappear

CarolTheAncientYuletideTroll Wed 27-Dec-06 10:34:27

Message withdrawn

hatwoman Wed 27-Dec-06 11:31:00

when you do your sums remember that stamp duty/moving costs is money down the pan - so the extension doesn't have to pay for itself to be the better option. as long as the ultimate cost of the extension (ie price paid minus value added) is less than moving costs, it's the better option.
eg if cost of moving is £25k, that is the same as cost of extention being £40k but only adding £15k to the value.

cat64 Wed 27-Dec-06 17:25:47

Message withdrawn

cat64 Wed 27-Dec-06 17:27:03

Message withdrawn

CarolTheAncientYuletideTroll Wed 27-Dec-06 18:41:14

Message withdrawn

Stockingsofdinosaurs Wed 27-Dec-06 19:55:34

Find a builder who does architectural services/plans as well, he will have more practical knowledge (and poss more experience re extensions) than an ordinary architect and will be able to give a rough idea of build costs as well as plans/fees etc. His plans will also be easier to follow for lesser (ie cheaper) builders when the time comes LOL.

whatwouldjesusdo Fri 29-Dec-06 21:27:57

When we extended, I did the plans myself, and my ex built the extension.

I used ms visio, which I was lucky enough to have on my work pc, to do the plans. I got a few grumbles from the planning inspector, but I just asked them for advice and what they wanted changed, and they were quite helpful in the end.

Building an extension is not that hard, you need to look up the building regs in your local library for instructions about what to do, and once you've paid a fee to the Council building control - use them!! You can phone them as often as you like, to ask how to do things, and again, they are usually really helpful.

You can hire labourers from eastern europe to help you, but if you project manage and work on the whole thing (even slowly, at weekends), you can keep the costs under control. Its not everyones cup of tea, but loads of people do do it round here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now