Talk

Advanced search

Moving to York - need advice please 😊

(6 Posts)
Lizzy16 Mon 21-Dec-15 17:31:44

Hello all,

Myself and my partner are wanting to move to York early next year and although technically there arent any 'bad' areas to live in York...We would like some help on pin pointing the best areas to live.

Please could you lovely people assist?

Thank you in advance 😊

StealthPolarBear Mon 21-Dec-15 17:32:53

Do you have children? City or suburbs? Where would you work?
Fulford and Heslington are lovely

Lizzy16 Mon 21-Dec-15 17:37:33

Hi there,

We have no children 🚸 and would like to be in close to the city, but don't mind cycling or jumping on a bus into the centre.

Hopefully I will be securing work with the university.

Do you know what Rawcliffe is like?

Thanks

Lizzy16 Tue 22-Dec-15 10:20:27

Can anyone recommend any areas? Or even any areas to avoid? Thanks

TranquilityofSolitude Tue 22-Dec-15 10:32:14

Fulford would be very convenient for the University and you could cycle into town along the river. There have been lots of threads about moving to York - have a look at some of these:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/a1378363-Where-would-you-live-in-York
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1584352-Best-villages-small-market-towns-around-York
local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_york/2386467-Another-Londonder-considering-York
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/611508-where-to-live-in-y

There was one a couple of days ago but I can't see it now.

Some of the threads above are a bit old but I don't think things have changed much.

Surrealistrhinoceros Tue 22-Dec-15 10:37:30

If you're likely to be at the university and want to have quick access to the centre, Fulford/Heslington/Heworth are your best bets. Lovely areas and easy access along the river path into town except as now when currently underwater Bishopthorpe Road and surrounds a good idea too. University is slightly out of town and a pain to get to from the wrong side of York.

If schools will ever be a consideration then those on that side of town are as good as it gets.

Acomb has a general reputation as the bit to avoid (see other current York thread!) but I live there and there are plenty of decent spots.

Nothing wrong with Rawcliffe but it would be newer housing, not the most exciting part of the city and you'd be a bit further out from the centre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now