Talk

Advanced search

Forgotten to change address on driving licence

(24 Posts)
RoundTheBend Tue 12-Dec-06 13:51:31

I moved about 14 months ago and rang DVLA and got sent a change of address form for my licence. I have just found the form in with a load of my husband's papers.. Is there any way that I can get away without a fine? Googling it I can see it can be up to ?1000. Has anyone had this problem before? I had not remembered as I have not needed to show or been asked for my licence in all this time.

TinsellyRhino Tue 12-Dec-06 13:52:37

shit mines not the right addy and hasn't been for four years

cripes

hairymclary Tue 12-Dec-06 13:53:17

god I better do mine then. Mine still has my parents address on it and I have had 4 moves since then (it was about 4 years ago) oops

ComeOyefaithfulVeneer Tue 12-Dec-06 13:54:01

Do the form now and get itchanged to the new address. There is no reason they would fine you. How willthey now you haven't just moved?

ImMcDreamyingofawhitexmas Tue 12-Dec-06 13:55:06

Mine isn't the right address either as we don't live in the UK and you can't regisiter it at an overseas address. Also it is the law to carry your driving licence every time you drive in Cyprus so I can't send it back! I'm just going to change it when we get back to the in 18 months.

FioFio Tue 12-Dec-06 13:55:09

Message withdrawn

TinsellyRhino Tue 12-Dec-06 13:55:46

dh says we don't need to worry, they won't fine you for forgeting just if you have done it for fraudulent reasons to avoid stuff

HeavenisInherwinterunderwear Tue 12-Dec-06 13:56:13

My sister hadn't changed her address or to her married name for a long while,and she didn't get fined.

JARMgotstuckupthechimney Tue 12-Dec-06 13:56:21

havent changed mine either - address on it is only nearly 2 years old but not the point lol

snig Tue 12-Dec-06 13:57:02

I moved into my address 2 years go and only got around to telling dvla a couple months ago, i'm pretty sure i just sent off my change of address/ license and they sent new one back. It would prob only be a problem if you had had to produce it at some point. I wouldn't worry too much just send it off now.

ComeOyefaithfulVeneer Tue 12-Dec-06 13:57:15

Just go to the post office and pick up a form fill it in and send it off. There is no way they will know if you moved yesterday or 10 years ago.

PortAndLemonaid Tue 12-Dec-06 13:57:16

They aren't likely to fine you at all. They can, but aren't likely to do it at all and certainly not for a piddling 14-month delay.

RoundTheBend Tue 12-Dec-06 13:58:06

Thank you! I thought it was for not changing it in a specified time. Thank goodness for that. The website was not clear. I have done all our other important stuff, just mislaid this form.

DizzyBinterWonderland Tue 12-Dec-06 13:58:42

it'll be fine. i changed mine 2 years after we moved.

ComeOyefaithfulVeneer Tue 12-Dec-06 13:58:46

Dh hasn't changed his from his parents address and he hasn't lived there since 1997. I have got him (and me) a form to do next week when we move house.

mygirllolipop Tue 12-Dec-06 14:10:24

Message withdrawn

ComeOyefaithfulVeneer Tue 12-Dec-06 14:13:20

At the risk of repeating myself, There is nothing on the form that indicateswhen you have moved to the new address so yo can't get fined when changing it even if you moved10 years ago. The chances of a fine are if you have to present your licence eg for a driving offence and it doesn't have an up to date address on it.

shonaspurtle Tue 12-Dec-06 14:26:14

As pp said, the fine is for not keeping the DVLA updated as to your whereabouts.

My parents got a visit from the police when my brother didn't renew his road tax. The police went to my parents because db had also neglected to update his license when he moved out .

Actually, he got away with both of these things in the end (police gave him 7 days to pay road tax and parents didn't let on he didn't live there any more) so I wouldn't worry about it .

Mirage Tue 12-Dec-06 19:21:57

I haven't done mine either.The dd's shredded it to bits before we moved 18 months ago & I never got around to replacing & updating it.I have now filled out the form,but am waiting for dh to take a photo of me to send in with it.

Wendy0320 Mon 27-Mar-17 14:00:57

after changing the address, how long gonna be take to post back? I did change for 1 month, and my family's are all came back, but my licence not back yet..... is there someone knows?

Tinojr71 Fri 07-Apr-17 04:08:05

I'm in Texas, the fined me 2 months after I moved, then took me to jail.... They WILL fine you and jail you.... I hadn't changed mine because for the first 1 and a half months I was living in my car, my house had burned, I moved in with a friend and a couple days later was stopped, and you know the rest....

RustyBear Fri 07-Apr-17 06:31:57

Hopefully the OP will have got round to changing her address in the 10 years since she started this thread...

KateDaniels2 Fri 07-Apr-17 06:40:36

I didnt change mine for years. I had even got married (and changed my name) inbetween, and moved somewhere i didnt need to drive. So didnt think about it.

I was driving again for about 2 years before i realised i had never updated my name or address.

I got the form, filled it in and got my new updated license back in 10 days. No fine or anything.

KateDaniels2 Fri 07-Apr-17 06:41:11

Ah ffs didnt realise it was a zombie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now