Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mummy Cafe

(35 Posts)
GetSmart Wed 18-Nov-15 21:48:41

Calling all mum's....I'm thinking of starting a cafe thats specifically for Mums (and dads) as a place to go and mix with other parents in a comfortable and slightly luxurious place, enjoy a decent coffee and healthy food, a clean and baby/toddler friendly environment with high speed internet access and phone signal. I want to create a little retreat where Mums can go to be with likeminded (and often sleep deprived) people and just hang out! I want to evolve this to have a 'pamper room' and the occasional sitting service for parents who just 'need an hour'. I wanted to use you lovely people as a sounding board really. What would make this idea extra special? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

everybodysang Wed 18-Nov-15 21:54:41

I'd rather eat my own kidneys than go anywhere described as a 'mummy cafe'.

usual Wed 18-Nov-15 21:55:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 18-Nov-15 22:01:00

There are loads of these places about - but just called cafes.

Do you have DCs of your own? Mine are just 1 and 2 and a newborn but there's no way I'd be comfortable leaving them in s crèche type facility with care givers they had never met before just to get an hour by myself. Perhaps people with older children might find it a useful service but by the time DC are older, they are at school etc so parents have a bit of f time

PurpleDaisies Wed 18-Nov-15 22:07:06

As a non-mum with a serious coffee habit who loves healthy food I think it's a shame you wouldn't want my business. hmm

usual Wed 18-Nov-15 22:08:23

PurpleDaisies Wed 18-Nov-15 22:08:41

Just out of interest, why do you think all mums are like minded?

usual Wed 18-Nov-15 22:10:03

UmbongoUnchained Wed 18-Nov-15 22:10:19

hmm

Ludovica Wed 18-Nov-15 22:13:07

I wouldn't go anywhere with mummy in the title. Or pamper. Would my child-free friends be allowed to join me for a coffee?

UmbongoUnchained Wed 18-Nov-15 22:20:37

Maybe pop over to the sparkle huns. Sounds more up their street.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 18-Nov-15 22:25:18

I would never go in a café with the intention of meeting like-minded people.

I'd never go in a 'Mummy café', knowing it would be full of women hoping to meet like-minded women ie those who call themselves and other mothers Mummy hmm. I'd feel left out.

GetSmart Wed 18-Nov-15 22:27:03

Sorry guys, I've missed a fundamental piece of the jigsaw out. The 'cafe' would been completely geared up for kids, with places for them to play, not your usual high street cafe. I have two young children and found it very frustrating when I couldn't get round in a cafe with a buggy for instance and on occasion would like a coffee somewhere where the kids are genuinely welcome and can get down from the high chair and play, without it being an issue. I think I've painted an incorrect picture of what I have in mind - sorry. It seems to have provoked a bad reaction. Its not meant to isolate parents, but include them. There are hundreds of baby groups meeting over the country, crammed into small coffee shops and I thought it would be nice to have a nice 'family friendly' place to have a cuppa and some healthy food (not a microwave panini!). The creche wasn't for you to leave your children. Rather have a coffee in peace, whilst you know your children are safe, supervised and having fun and where you can clearly see them.
Long term plan was to include some classes, maybe: exercise classes, baby yoga, healthy eating etc. Hope this paints a clearer picture.

ouryve Wed 18-Nov-15 22:27:42

It's either child friendly or it's a place for parents to relax. The two rarely go together.

UmbongoUnchained Wed 18-Nov-15 22:30:08

So it's essentially a soft play with a larger coffee area?

Friendofsadgirl Wed 18-Nov-15 22:31:30

This might give you some ideas?

GetSmart Wed 18-Nov-15 22:32:58

Oh I don't know. If its child friendly, surely that means the parents get a break? smile The idea started as a soft play centre but they are so expensive to set up!

EdithWeston Wed 18-Nov-15 22:32:45

There was a cafe near where I used to live that did something similar to this.

It found that people simply didn't spend enough for the amount of time they occupied tables, and abandoned that model becoming instead an ordinary coffee shop/cafe.

Have you experience of running a cafe?

PositivePete Wed 18-Nov-15 22:35:01

I would welcome this. I am always trying to find places to go.

Ludovica Wed 18-Nov-15 22:36:50

I've been to cafe junior and they also had a strict time limit.

GetSmart Wed 18-Nov-15 22:37:10

Yeah, thats a concern that people could just sit all day and enjoy the 'free play'.

Thank you 'Friendofsadgirl' thats really helpful.

I've worked in coffee shops before and a good friend of mine owns a very successful one - if the idea is a goer, I'll be spending some time there no doubt learning the ropes.

PinkSquash Wed 18-Nov-15 22:39:13

It's a soft play with a café? They're rarely relaxing places, just think of the noise levels.

Most parents meet up in a soft play area, park or similar if they want their DC to play, don't they?

Do you have children? How in God's name is this a relaxing idea?

GetSmart Wed 18-Nov-15 22:42:16

Thanks everyone, you've given me A LOT of food for thought. Its all been helpful, thank you. Lots to think about and revise.

Pigeonpost Wed 18-Nov-15 22:45:49

Bleurgh to Mummy Cafe. Just a nice normal cafe with nice normal food, a few toys in a corner and space for buggies does the trick.

WhatAHooHa Wed 18-Nov-15 22:47:46

We have a few places around us - basically a cafe with a large area set aside for toys, play houses etc for kids. Like Cafe Junior, for example. They're always busy BUT they're always a bit grimy too... I don't think you could expect much else with that many preschoolers there. Luxurious doesn't really spring to mind... In fact, I would be terrified of taking mine somewhere that nice and dropping crumbs, smearing food, spilling drinks etc. Brings me out in a bit of a cold sweat, just thinking about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now