Talk

Advanced search

If you had paid for a school trip and it was cancelled by the school...

(13 Posts)
SoupDragon Wed 04-Nov-15 11:39:04

... Would you expect a full refund regardless of whether their travel insurance paid out?

1) it was not a cheap trip, it was a full day in France
2) it's an independent school
3) no mention of what would happen in the event of cancellation

balletgirlmum Wed 04-Nov-15 11:40:27

Yes I would unless it was cancelled due to my child's actions.

SoupDragon Wed 04-Nov-15 11:41:57

The school made the decision due to the horrendous delays to/from/at Calais coupled with a heatwave.

balletgirlmum Wed 04-Nov-15 11:46:03

Right, so they were in effect thinking of the h & safety of the kids. Tricky one that.

AlreadyUsed Wed 04-Nov-15 11:47:07

I would expect a full refund as my contract was with the school (not their insurance company)

SoupDragon Wed 04-Nov-15 11:49:54

Yes, I fully agree with the actual cancellation.

I'm just in two minds about how they are handling the refund (40%). Part of me feels they should take the financial hit * as they made the decision to cancel.

* and that is the only reason the fact that it's an independent school is at all relevant

MediumBox Wed 04-Nov-15 11:50:17

I would expect a full refund or confirmation that the money is used towards another similar school trip.

RainbowRoses Wed 04-Nov-15 11:51:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Viviennemary Wed 04-Nov-15 11:52:05

Yes I think they should repay all the money. Did you read the small print and see if there is anything said about cancellations. I expect you'd have a good chance taking them to the small claims court unless it specifically covers this scenario in their terms and conditions. But would you want to do that. Hmm not sure if I would. But I'd certainly be furious and not contribute to any of their fundraising events for quite a long time.

Fatfreefaff Wed 04-Nov-15 12:01:30

Yes I would expect a refund. Twice, at DD1's school (state grammar) we were offered a partial refund and were given the default option of 'donating' it to the school. I asked for it to be paid back to me.

VimFuego101 Wed 04-Nov-15 12:03:17

I would expect a refund.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 04-Nov-15 12:04:24

Full refund.

SoupDragon Wed 04-Nov-15 12:07:34

I'm not sure I can be bothered to make a fuss as I had forgotten all about it.

I remember feeling a bit odd about it when they cancelled and said they'd see if they could offer us any refund. I wondered if others thought the same.

If it were a state school, I would shrug and think that they needed the money more than me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: