Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

MOBILE PHONE SCAM - PARENTS BEWARE!

(1 Post)
HelenSewschool Thu 29-Oct-15 08:20:26

IF YOUR CHILD HAS A MOBILE PHONE THAT YOU PAY FOR BY DIRECT DEBIT PLEASE READ THIS!!!
There is a company called WIN TRIVIA who run internet and texting competitions with very tempting prizes.... They seem to be able to convince young, unaware and vulnerable people to subscribe to their extremely expensive services without realizing they have done so.
Unfortunately it happened to my daughter and has cost me nearly £400.00
Stupidly, I noticed several months too late after investigating my extortionate mobile phone bills.
It's a bit complicated but it seems to me from my investigations that your mobile phone provider such as EE gets the money from you, passes it on to the Intermediary who passes it on to the actual company texting you. Good business for them all… and totally legal!
This is what happened to my daughter…
She was online and a pop up window appeared that wouldn’t go away until she clicked on it. It was a FREE COMPETITION to WIN an IPHONE 6, so she thought… “What have I got to lose!”
She answered the very easy questions and forgot all about it. What she didn’t realise was that by sending the answers to this competition, she was signing up for weekly texts from WIN TRIVIA costing £4.50 a go!
It was all written in small print of course, but she’s fourteen and wasn’t going to read all of that, as they may well know! All she read was FREE COMPETITION to WIN AN IPHONE 6.
Along with these extremely expensive texts, that she was getting almost daily, there were other texts explaining the costs and how to unsubscribe. Of course she ignored these messages completely… she is fourteen and they weren’t from any of her friends – most people would ignore messages they thought were junk mail and were trying to sell something… another certainty that I’m sure they might rely on to make their money.
When I discovered what had happened, I contacted WIN TRIVIA in attempt to get my money back. I was told that their price is clear and prominent on the promotional material!! Not clear enough for my fourteen year old I say, because if it were clear they wouldn’t make any money at all! At no point did they ask my daughter for her age, and at no point did they ask for her mobile phone number. All the important information one should know before entering their competitions seems to be cleverly designed to be overlooked and they have obviously employed lawyers to make sure it is all totally legal.
I did get a measly £50 of my money back, which WIN TRIVIA stated was “completely discretionary and in line with refund policies of other industries”.
As there is nothing else I can do, I’ve made it my mission to reveal WIN TRIVIA’s business tactics to other innocent people, especially those with children, via all social media and the press. And if anyone knows how I can get it on to Watchdog, please let me know!!!
THANK YOU FOR READING THIS & PLEASE SHARE!
MY SMALL PRINT!!!All of the information above is my personal opinion, made from my personal experience with WIN TRIVIA…

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now