Advanced search

DIY bunting - what size of hole punch do I need?

(8 Posts)
cantbelieveimonhere Mon 17-Aug-15 23:39:23

Having a small gathering of immediate family for lo's first birthday. Tea, cake and toys! Want to make a few home made decorations and think DIY bunting is within my skillset grin

Have googled and all the websites I looked at just say "use a hole punch". But they don't say what size.

When I've googled online retailers of crafting hole punches, they seem to offer a range of sizes.
Hole too big - thread/ribbon will fall through and there won't be enough tension to keep cards up
Hole too small - threat/ribbon won't fit!
Don't want to use pen or similar as it won't make a neat hole.

Can anyone advise what hole punch to get for this type of project>

Thanks in advance MN!

LoveVintage Mon 17-Aug-15 23:41:52

Just a normal size punch that you would use to make holes in paper to put in a ring binder folder.

ijustwannadance Mon 17-Aug-15 23:45:17

Just a normal stationery one that you would use on A4 paper to put in ring binder would be fine. You wont need to buy any expensive crafty ones. Just get cheap one from wilko or somewhere.

ijustwannadance Mon 17-Aug-15 23:46:03

X postsmile

cantbelieveimonhere Tue 18-Aug-15 09:06:26

The hole left by a regular hole punch is just too big for the thread and string I have. I think I need one of those "crafting" hole punches - see photo in link in origional post. Does anyone have anyone experience of using these types? And advice re: what size of hole to get?

momb Tue 18-Aug-15 09:10:46

Use a normal punch and buy ribbon. Are you using paper or card? It seems to me that your card is too stiff and your string too narrow....

pssst (cheater tip alert).....a dab of glue on the back once you've spaced them on the string works wonders......

cantbelieveimonhere Tue 18-Aug-15 10:24:05

Using card (I already have various coloured card for card-making, want to re-use them, want to be able to use them outdoors as well as indoors).

ijustwannadance Tue 18-Aug-15 12:23:20

I have a cropodile (the thing in your link) punches 2 size holes, one smaller and one larger. And expensive for just making bunting! Just go and spend a £1 on a couple of metres of wider ribbon. Or like other poster said, just glue sting at the back or tape it down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: