Talk

Advanced search

Going for MRI and I have a bridge.

(4 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Sat 25-Jul-15 18:50:47

can anyone help? Is there a radiologist out there? Forgot about this very old dental work. There is a wire type bridge holding front teeth. The teeth holding them are capped, again years ago, in the eighties. The MRI is an ENT one so will need to be on my head. At the time of filling in the question form I just told them about my hip replacement. I don't recall any mention of dental work and the questions seemed to refer to operations or accidents involving metal. Would be grateful if anyone can help.

Whatabout Sat 25-Jul-15 18:56:31

It really depends what the metal is, some are ferrous and some are not. I'd contact the dentist to see if they have a record of what it is made of.

If it is removable then you can just remove it, if it is ferrous then it may move / dislodge / cause artifacts on the images making them not very diagnostic.

Definitely flag it to the MRI centre and see what you can find out about the metals involved.

HappydaysArehere Sat 25-Jul-15 19:52:55

Thank you so much. I will ring the centre on Monday and ask the advice of the dentist. However, she won't have records about the bridge as it was put in in the eighties and that dental practice has gone. I am wondering if she can tell by looking at it. It is holding up two teeth so don't think it can be removed easily. I will try to make an appointment to see her. Thanks again.

Whatabout Sat 25-Jul-15 20:06:18

It is more than likely non-ferrous but may affect the image quality as it is for ENT so definitely worth a chat. They may be totally non-plussed by it as so many people have dental appliances / implants / fillings and they are fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now