Talk

Advanced search

Feeling like a right Berk!!

(12 Posts)
Jo4040 Sat 18-Jul-15 18:02:51

OK here go's...

I suffer with quite bad health anxiety. I have many many daughting thoughts about my health. All the time.
One of my worries is that I need to exercise. I constantly feel as if I need to run around, move, be on the go, fidget. I feel this way because I feel like then my heart is beating my food around and its not staying in my body, going stagnent, turning into cancer.

However I feel better if iv been on a field running around with my DS, been on his trampoline.

What I want to do is start going for a run around my streets,but I feel like a right Berk doing this. I feel like people are going to be looking at me and laughing at me running.

Im twenty five. I'm five foot one, eight stone, perfectly toned. But I feel just so self conscious. When I see people going for a run I feel so envious that they have got the confidence to do this. I would just feel like a absolute pilock. How do you walk out of your house,down the path, out of the gate and begin to actually...run??

BitOfFun Sat 18-Jul-15 18:07:31

I can't respond to your obviously worrying health anxiety, but why don't you repost in the Running section? There are loads of posters there who will be able to give you excellent advice on that aspect.

Jo4040 Sat 18-Jul-15 18:09:13

There is a running section ? I didn't know, what's it under? Thanks

BitOfFun Sat 18-Jul-15 18:09:14

Lots of runners' threads here.

Jo4040 Sat 18-Jul-15 18:17:35

Thanks Bitoffun smile

PerspicaciaTick Sat 18-Jul-15 18:20:05

Also, visit the NHS website and have a lookat their "couch to 5k" resources. I found running for a purpose helped me get over feeling like a twit.

Jo4040 Sat 18-Jul-15 18:28:24

Its a shame really...since being a child I have heard so many cruel people laughing at people running. I feel the opposite, I always think 'Good on you!'
They must feel great when they get home!

I'm trying to repost On the running section but I don't know how to copy and paste on this bloody phone, I'll just have to re type, grrr

ConfusedInBath Sun 19-Jul-15 20:34:27

What about aerobics?

Jo4040 Sun 19-Jul-15 21:54:26

Anything really. Just want to be able to relax knowing iv worked my heart! I do alot of trampolining, but running is free and I can really go for it then

LemonBreeland Sun 19-Jul-15 22:01:36

I recently joined a running group and one of our leaders said not to worry about people looking at you etc. As you are running and they aren't. Also if anybody does say anything it doesn't matter as you will be past them in a second. So just go out there and don't worry about other people.

I do think you should see somebody for yur health anxiety though.

UterusUterusGhali Tue 21-Jul-15 22:06:15

I've never thought anything but admiration for runners!

The only time it raises a smile is on weekend mornings when I'm heading to work and there are just so many. smile
In certain suburbs near me you'll see nothing but. It makes me smile because it's like everyone in the world wears neon. But I'm still jealous as hell. (I can't run)

Jo4040 Wed 22-Jul-15 08:04:54

Oooo believe me I can run! I'd just love to run and run and run and feel...alive with it.

The thing is where I live, there is some really horrible people who I know will snigger if they see me running.

I dunno..maybe its me that cares far to much what other people think. In the long run its spoiling things for me. It's just this issue of actually getting out of my gate and turning the walk into a run!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now