Nursing Home Manager

(4 Posts)
Doobydoo Tue 16-Jun-15 14:17:14

Hi. Just wondered if anyone on here manages a Nursing Home and if so how did you get there and how do you find the job hours and pay and stress wise? I currently head up a dementia unit. Thank you .

SecretSpy Tue 16-Jun-15 14:46:51

I've not been the manager but I've been a step below. IMHO I don't think that the stress and grief is worth it, I have no plans to try to become a manager.

The money is ok but the responsibility that goes with it makes it poor value iykwim. When your staff cock up, it's you in the coroners court. Bonuses can be quite good for maintaining high occupancy levels but IMHO that often means accepting everyone and dependency /acuity levels that exceed what the staff can cope with.

I'd check what support is available, will you be able to hire and fire freely, are the policies and procedures fit for purpose. In some groups you can inherit some terrible staff and have no support to manage them out.

Doobydoo Tue 16-Jun-15 16:52:37

Thanks for reply. I have managed small residential home before but never again as the owner was a nightmare. I now work for large and well known group. They do have issues in some of their homes. The one i was thinking of is in dire straits. The problem seems to be that rather than being proactive they fight fires

Doobydoo Tue 16-Jun-15 16:53:53

Ah yes. The bit you mention re staff is extremely pertinent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now