Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone explain this to me?

(8 Posts)
cuppy Thu 22-Apr-04 22:57:06

This has been bugging me for ages and now that I have found mumsnet maybe someone here will know.

On the back of packaging of cot sheets there is a guide that tells you how many blankets a child should have depending on the temp of the room.

Straight forward enough.

But at the bottom it says " a comforter counts as two blankets" Am I being stupid? A comforter ....e.g a dummy, or blanket, counts as two? I just dont get it.

Any ideas

hoxtonchick Thu 22-Apr-04 22:57:58

Is comforter the American word for duvet?

grumpyzebra Thu 22-Apr-04 22:59:37

Yes. But a comforter comes with its own cover, IYSWIM. You don't put any other covers on it, and you wash the whole thing when it needs it.
My American relatives think that duvet covers are a wonderful, sensible washing-saving innovation!

grumpyzebra Thu 22-Apr-04 23:00:37

Oh, and I never heard of comforters having tog ratings, unlike duvets, so maybe they are all relatively light? I have 2 comforters sent by American relatives, and I'd think they deserve something like a 3-6 tog rating.

jodee Thu 22-Apr-04 23:04:33

Also, don't the Americans call pillows 'shams'??

And (drifting of the subject here) what on earth is a retainer?

hercules Thu 22-Apr-04 23:06:58

brace

jodee Thu 22-Apr-04 23:17:58

Thanks H

(whoops, typo - meant "off" !!)

Earlybird Fri 23-Apr-04 03:54:01

A sham is a covering for a pillow - but usually one that matches the comforter or bedspread......in other words, it's decorative and is often ruffled, quilted etc. It can be removed and washed. It's NOT the pillowcase that's used for sleeping. Is that more confusing, or did it clarify?

Oh yes, - as Hercules says a retainer is a brace, but a retainer is removable, and is mainly used at night when the wearer is asleep. Unfortunately I had one for several years.......and bizarre as it may seem, I know of adults that still wear them to stop teeth shifting!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: