Talk

Advanced search

The wheel fell off my car ... What would you do?

(36 Posts)

I recently bought a new car. Well new to me but not new, you get the picture. It is a 2003 Ford Focus in the colour green, really nice.
So my husband went to pick it up from the guy I was buying it from so he could do the whole road worthiness thing before I started to drive if.

It was really weird what happened next ...

He was driving down the brae when he saw this wheel rolling down the road beside him. It only took him a few seconds to realise it was the wheel from my new focus.

Of course my other half is a clever man, he got an A in Technology at school and his teacher said he would go a really long way. Lucky for my husband he was near the garden centre so he was able to stop the car safely within walking distance. He jacked the car up so it wouldn't topple over while he went to get help.

When he was in the garden centre the assistant came over to him straight away. Apparently he was a nice young chap, few acne spots but nothing that bad I guess. He came up with an amazing idea and loaded 5 bags of gravel onto a trolley for my other half. After paying £37.50 for the gravel my husband got the young spotty lad to help him the few hundred yards down the road with the trolley, he promised the lad a £1 tip if he would help so that sealed the deal.

So here is what happened next, I am just blown away by the ingenious idea my husband had. He loaded all the gravel into the back seat of the car, the opposite side to the lost wheel and you never guess what happened?

The car balanced up and he was able to take the jack out from underneath and the car didn't even topple over.

I guess he should have taken the car back to the guy he bought it from but as we had bartered £50 off the asking price it was kind of hard.

The gravel is working good, we have been able to drive the car into town for our shopping this week and we also went to the zoo. Thankfully the car park was slightly on an incline so we parked sideways across two parking bays and the slope kept the car safe whole we spent the day looking at the giraffes and elephants.

I'm very happy with my new car, I just hope that one day I can get it fixed as I could do with the gravel for the back garden.

DarylDixonsDarlin Sat 29-Nov-14 23:25:00

Oh I hope its not the same green as my Fusion, that colour seems to be invisible. I'd hate for anyone to drive into you and cause you to lose any other wheels grin

EleanorRigby89 Sat 29-Nov-14 23:27:27

I don't get it?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 29-Nov-14 23:29:50

Genius.

When I was younger I worked in a car stunt team and I was the girl who climbed out the car window to sit on the outside of the car as the driver balanced it on two wheels.

If you need the gravel I could hire myself out to you.

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Nov-14 23:30:17

Eh?

vivaLaBeaver where are from? That's a good idea actually however you'd need to be at least 9.5 stones at my reckoning.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 29-Nov-14 23:37:26

I can manage 9.5 stone no probs. will need to look out my Stig outfit.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 29-Nov-14 23:39:33

I guess physics isn't your strong point?

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Nov-14 23:40:31

I am a bit worried about your MOT/Insurance. sad

MrsCurrent Sat 29-Nov-14 23:43:26

By my reckoning you could possibly manage losing one more as long at it's diagonally opposite the missing one. However I'd think of getting a spare in the boot in case you do lose 2 more if I was you.

bumpertobumper Sat 29-Nov-14 23:46:19

hahaha, funny joke.
And to be practical, if gravel in the back balanced it that would indicate it was a front wheel which was lost. but a focus is front wheel drive, and cornering would be a challenge...

I knew that everyone here would understand. We are going to churches today, I'm guessing we should park at the bottom end of the car park so we can keep up appearances.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sun 30-Nov-14 09:31:00

I'm lost

Sparklingbrook Sun 30-Nov-14 09:31:34

Me too Frau, I have slept on it and I still don't get it.

MerryMo Sun 30-Nov-14 09:35:01

Erm - this is totally lost on me too!

R4roger Sun 30-Nov-14 09:41:50

just put the wheel back on shock!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 30-Nov-14 09:49:36

But putting gravel in the car is easier than putting the wheel back on!

Maybe the wheel got lost when it rolled down the road.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sun 30-Nov-14 09:50:34

Surely there's a spare wheel?

Surely you'd get stopped by the police for driving with only 3 wheels?

I don't get what is funny about this at all confused

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 30-Nov-14 09:53:07

It's a more literate hamwich isn't it?

DurhamDurham Sun 30-Nov-14 09:54:31

Of all the stupid threads I've read.......

PrettyPictures92 Sun 30-Nov-14 10:06:06

hmm

PrettyPictures92 Sun 30-Nov-14 10:06:33

Did someone drink too much wine last night?

insancerre Sun 30-Nov-14 10:11:03

What colour gravel did he buy?

StripedOss Sun 30-Nov-14 10:36:55

is there actually any point to this stupid thread?

Lol the gravel was pink. And no alcohol was consumed ..... the thread has a hidden moral message. At the end of the day if you had a little chuckle then it has been successful.

For those who are complaining just move on to the next thread, the Internet is all about free speech.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now