What the worst gift you have ever received?

(262 Posts)
Theselittlelightsofmine Thu 09-Oct-14 10:00:19

I was having a bad couple of weeks after an argument with a toxic parent.
As a way of cheering me up my OH decided to buy me a gift.
It was a huge sextoy I was not impressed and burst into tears thinking that was DHs way of telling me I was not a tight as I used to be.
He realised how stupid he had been and has never done anything like that again and yes the offending gift got thrown away!

Theselittlelightsofmine Thu 09-Oct-14 10:00:51

So what's your worst gift, from whom and why?

smile

financialwizard Thu 09-Oct-14 10:01:59

Knee high socks for my 35th birthday ffs.

financialwizard Thu 09-Oct-14 10:01:59

Knee high socks for my 35th birthday ffs.

NetballHoop Thu 09-Oct-14 10:02:03

DH's aunt bought me an ashtray. I don't smoke.

Bragadocia Thu 09-Oct-14 10:02:13

Electric blanket. Main Christmas present from parents. Aged 8.

I was so sad. Trying not to cry too much as it would have been rude, but god I was devastated. I was terrified of them bursting into flames too, so it never got used.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 09-Oct-14 10:02:28

That's a bad gift shock

My ex mil bought a bra and pants set in a size 32B - my bra size is 36J. She said I could diet into it hmm. At the time I was a size 10.

She was all sorts of a bitch.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 09-Oct-14 10:04:27

My ex used to buy me teddies and Disney things.

Really not my kind of thing and I despise Disney.

Just proved he didn't know me, didn't listen to or notice what I enjoyed/my tastes. He wanted a little girly girl and was desperate to mould me into that.

silverten Thu 09-Oct-14 10:05:06

DH's granny gave me a box of tissues once. I thought that was rather odd. Wondered if there was some kind of PA message to it but she wasn't that sort of person really.

TheGirlFromIpanema Thu 09-Oct-14 10:05:41

My mum buys some shockers at Christmas unless she is very carefully directed.
Last year I left her to it for me and dc's and I ended up with a teddy bear amongst other shit I am 40 years old ffs confused

One year my step sis and I put our hideous fake watches on e-bay on boxing day to see who could raise the least grin

We never say a word and of course, it is the thought that counts! I have had to train the dc how to look chuffed and be super grateful for the weird shit the gifts they receive!

Theas18 Thu 09-Oct-14 10:06:37

difficult to say " worst" as I know the gifts I get at work are tokens of appreciation given in the kindest way (and they are scarce!), but some have been well... odd!

I had a pair of tights and a slightly used pair of old lady black shoes. At least the tights were new.

A tin of ham (the sort my nan used to think was v posh ) "for the kiddies "because it's Xmas and we are Jehovas Witnesses so we don't celebrate it. Odd in so many ways!

Have had 2 huge marrows recently too. Given that I work in a city this is a tad unusual. I would be alarmed if I got a brace of pheasants nailed to the door though!

THe 1st time "Mr Marrow" sidled up to me and gave me a long object in a plastic bag I really thought I'd arrived and been give a bottle of wine... but no, it was a less ginormous marrow.

FiveHoursSleep Thu 09-Oct-14 10:06:40

A ceramic smoking baby from my SIL. I hate smoking and I was pregnant with DD3.

Theas18 Thu 09-Oct-14 10:07:12

I'll never hit the threshold for declaring gifts for tax purposes at this rate will I!

Theselittlelightsofmine Thu 09-Oct-14 10:07:53

I have remembered another one not me but 2 of my DC.

My MIL bought my teen boys both watches with small diamontaies around the watch face shockshock

Flissity83 Thu 09-Oct-14 10:08:19

I got a ring that was also a watch when I was 15. At the time my mum was addicted to QVC so she bought all minds of weird crap.

ImFineThankYouSusan Thu 09-Oct-14 10:10:09

Hmmm...well I have never really had a 'bad' present per se.

I guess when after 9 years of knowing that I just don't do flowers, my exh bought a bunch for Mother's day and got the hump when I wasn't apparently appreciative enough. I did say thank you! But wasn't enough apparently.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 09-Oct-14 10:12:11

As a child I got LOADS of 'educational' presents. Self assembly medieval villages - stuff like that.

I was never allowed to do them though, in case I made a mess. My parents did them for me and I had to sit and watch.

I once got a really cool sticker book but my mum got my dad to do it 'for me' so it was 'nice and neat'.

Ditto with any competitions I wanted to enter. Yet they were the first to slag off any other entries which may have had parental help.

hmmsad

Now I get a real kick out of doing stuff myself. If anything breaks - washing machine for example- I'll find a YouTube tutorial and have a go before I call someone for help.

nousernamesleft Thu 09-Oct-14 10:12:46

A duck.
Dead, with bullet holes, but otherwise whole. Beak, feathers, feet, the lot.
Luckily, ex was pretty good at plucking etc, so it made really tasty roast duck a few days later. Was very odd though!

A pack of bibs and a plant pot (no plant). Wrapped up together in the same paper. My 25th birthday, was pregnant with DD1. Thanks Mum.

Littlef00t Thu 09-Oct-14 10:13:39

Big bag of supermarket nuts and a posh nut cracker, lovely, except my DH is super allergic to nuts and we don't keep them in the house.

DH calls this time of year the season of death grin, once the nut isle appears in the fruit and veg section we know Xmas is around the corner.

Idontseeanysontarans Thu 09-Oct-14 10:13:46

Not me, my MIL. She visited an old slightly eccentric friend a couple of years ago just before Christmas and was given a pile of presents to take home for the family.
On Christmas Day we were all gently teasing her because hers was wrapped up so beautifully, ribbons and bows all over the place, lovely paper - it had to be something really special, they'd been friends for 50 years!!
She opened the gift to reveal...
A pair of obviously worn sandals 2 sizes too big in a style she has never worn and never will. The note inside read something like 'they don't fit me anymore, thought you could use them instead'.
She started laughing so hard she couldn't stop for ages and ended up with the hiccups grin

OfficeNewGirl Thu 09-Oct-14 10:15:13

A wall mask which used to look very creepy.

A load of poundshop tat in a box for when dd was born.

A load of gym equipment from dh for my birthday - i hate the gym!

fairgame Thu 09-Oct-14 10:15:52

Every year for xmas my mum buys me slippers that are too small. Today is my 30th, she has got me a mug with 30 on it to use as an ornament. She has various ornamental mugs in her house but i'm not that way inclined. She means well but we've got completely different styles!
They're not terrible gifts, just not my sort of thing.

Theselittlelightsofmine Thu 09-Oct-14 10:17:29

Well you have all made me laugh but what do you do with them?

OfficeNewGirl Thu 09-Oct-14 10:19:54

I binned them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now