Talk

Advanced search

Is it difficult to cancel Sky?

(16 Posts)
lottieandmia Fri 04-Apr-14 09:12:49

I have heard that lately it's very difficult to cancel Sky. I am moving house and need to cancel our subscription but I have heard that people are having all kinds of trouble doing so right now.

I also had a very rude customer service advisor call me the other day and try to force me to buy insurance for the sky dish. I said that since we were already paying a lot I could not afford another £8 a months and her tone was very rude - she said 'well I hope your equipment doesn't break because it's going to cost you a lot to fix it if it does'

So I'm not filled with confidence that cancelling the whole thing will be easy to do!

GemmaTeller Fri 04-Apr-14 09:14:59

I just repeating, 'I'm not interested I want to cancel' and they did it eventually - took about 10 minutes

Floralnomad Fri 04-Apr-14 09:16:51

Provided you are not in contract ,which if you are you will have to pay for , its easy you simply ring up and say you wish to cancel .they will try to persuade you to stay you say no and that you are not discussing it . End of. I had one of those calls the other day about the warranty ,you just say ' I'm not interested' and put the phone down ,simple.

littlemslazybones Fri 04-Apr-14 09:23:30

Yes, it's like braking up with a clingy boyfriend. Employ similar tactics, disengage, don't listen to the 'I can be better' whinging and remember, no is a complete sentence.

Expect post break-up phone calls trying to tempt you back. Stay strong. grin

lottieandmia Fri 04-Apr-14 09:48:15

What's 'in contract'? We have now had it exactly a year so I think we should be able to cancel now.

Fairylea Fri 04-Apr-14 09:49:07

I've cancelled sky twice. It's fine as long as you're obviously out of the contract period. Just a phone call! Never had a problem.

gamerchick Fri 04-Apr-14 09:53:35

I had to cancel last week.. It was like explaining yourself to the headmaster.

They get stroppy.. grill you in why you're leaving then try to make you stay. Be firm, consistent and don't pause as they take it as a sign of weakness.

They'll calculate how much you owe as it's 30 days notice and you'll be paying in advance.

I got my sorry you're leaving letter this week.

They do stick you on hold when transferring the call and the dude puts you on lengthy holds during cancelling so put aside a chunk of time and don't ring from a mobile as it isn't free.

lottieandmia Fri 04-Apr-14 10:42:02

I assume you mean pay in advance for the TV package? We have telephone as well and surely I would have a to get a final bill for that?

HappyHippyChick Fri 04-Apr-14 10:45:08

Also they will ring you every week, sometimes more than once a week to try to get you to come back to them, even if you tell them not to bother as you have signed up with someone else. hmm

lottieandmia Fri 04-Apr-14 10:47:02

Well we are moving into the house where the landlord does not allow satellite dish. I am pleased because dd2 spends far too much time watching iCarly and needs to start concentrating more on her school work.

lottieandmia Sat 05-Apr-14 09:30:32

Forgot to say, I want to keep the broadband and phone and just cancel the TV. Is that going to be more difficult?

rachyconks Sat 05-Apr-14 09:33:39

I moved to somewhere that the LL didn't allow a dish - the operator I tried to cancel with started to question whether my move was the right thing for me. I asked to speak to a manager after that.

42notTrendy Sat 05-Apr-14 09:33:52

I've always found their customer service good. And if you want to keep part of the package I think you'll find it easier.

MrsBertMacklin Sat 05-Apr-14 09:59:02

I had to cancel mine when I moved abroad for six months. Telling them I was leaving the country did the trick and as a bonus, I've never got any junk mail from them asking me to consider coming back.

lottieandmia Sat 05-Apr-14 10:31:59

Racheyconks - wtf?? Who the hell do they think they are? I've read all kinds of horror stories like Sky refusing to cut a line off when someone moved and then the new tenant ran up a £700 phone bill.

They can't really argue with leaving the country can they? grin

Ememem84 Sat 05-Apr-14 10:57:37

Yes. They are awful when you try to cancel. They will do anything to keep you. I called up to cancel as our tv was costing a small fortune. Told them why I wanted to leave etc. half hour later I was still a sky customer but had 3 months free and 6 months half price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now