Talk

Advanced search

How do people relocate? what order do you do things in? Overwhelmed!

(5 Posts)
yellowsunflowers Thu 20-Mar-14 11:04:39

DH and I are keen to relocate about 120 miles away BUT I have no idea how people manage to do this!

DH and i would both need new jobs, we'd need to sell our house and buy a new one, get DD into a new primary and DS a new nursery.

What order do people tackle these things in?? Eg. Get a job 1st, then sell house, then find school??

I'm totally stuck. Thank you in advance for any advice.

MelanieCheeks Fri 21-Mar-14 14:12:59

Why do you want to move to that particular location?

But yes, basically, job first, then house, then schools.

It'll take a lot of time. And energy.

Remind yourself it's like eating an elephant. And how do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time. Just make sure you eat some every day.

chickabilla Fri 21-Mar-14 14:21:33

We did this last summer to be closer to family. It was easier because I work from home and DH had a long notice period (got job in late jan, moved in may). However, we did: DH got job, sold house, enquired about school/pre school places when choosing exact area to live, put offer in on new house, applied for school at exchange of contracts.It was stressful especially as we had a new baby at the end of feb but it went quite smoothly really. If we had to move quicker, we would have rented for 6 mo in the new location.

Llareggub Fri 21-Mar-14 14:29:39

I was lucky because my house sold quickly and I found a job quickly. I'm also a lone parent so there was just me to think about job wise.

I decided to rent to help simplify things, so found a school with places and then rented in catchment. A year on I am still renting as I really like my house!

NiSaBula Fri 28-Mar-14 11:30:16

We relocated from the south east to yorkshire, 12 years ago. My dh got a job first (I worked part-time, so no immediate rush for me to get another job), we sold our house, moved in with his parents then looked for a house. Dd1 was at pre-school and dd2 was a baby, so we didn't have to look for schools. We were lucky to have family to move in with, but I don't remember it being very traumatic. It was exciting looking for a bigger house, because of the difference in prices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now