Talk

Advanced search

What do mumsnetters mean when they use the phrase "Guardianista"?

(125 Posts)
dinosaur Tue 09-Mar-04 13:33:18

Can I just ask this please.

Have been reading Guardian since age 13 (25 years).

Do read other newspapers as well but Guardian only one read every day.

lydialemon Tue 09-Mar-04 13:49:25

not a clue, and I read it every day too!

marialuisa Tue 09-Mar-04 13:52:16

Ok, Dinosaur, I admit I use the term in a derogatory way, and i would not use it to classify all Guardian readers (DH prefers the guardian but is so far from being a guardianista it's untrue).

I started to explain but it turned into a mini-essay,so to cut it short a m-c but not necessarily wealthy person who is extremely pretentious about "Art" and other "bohemian" topics. Feels superior to those on similar incomes who perhaps have less education etc. because they use recycled loo paper. will stop now.

CountessDracula Tue 09-Mar-04 13:59:30

I read the Guardian but don't use recycled loo paper. It scratches my arse.

dinosaur Tue 09-Mar-04 14:13:52

thanks ml

not offended - just curious to know what the implications were, as have seen it used on a few threads now

my DH reads it as well but has more of a natural affinity with the Sun

he is also in charge of bogroll buying in our house and I don't think the idea of recycled stuff appeals to him, he prefers the Hyacinth Bucket type quilted stuff (which then makes my father all jealous when he comes to visit, cos they don't have that at home)

I do however make him buy eco-friendly washing up liquid.

Anyway, I'll stop now.

marialuisa Tue 09-Mar-04 14:28:31

I think it's the belief in their own superiority and rightness that gets me. Also, they tend to be a bit thick (like MIL) but like to bang on about how right they are and how much better they are than the plumber next door.

dinosaur Tue 09-Mar-04 14:33:03

um...that does sound a bit more like me

not that we have a plumber living next door

but the last builder we had working on our house was a racist s*** and I'm sure I'm better than him

But seriously, don't we all tend to think that we're right? The Times/Telegraph readers I know seem fairly certain in their beliefs too!

motherinferior Tue 09-Mar-04 14:33:49

I read it, I've been known to write for it, I buy recycled paper (loo and otherwise), agonise over whether I should buy fair traded or organic bananas, know bugger-all about art, have read masses of other papers in my time...I probably do fit the stereotype although I feel inferior to most people, obviously.

marialuisa Tue 09-Mar-04 14:45:20

MI, in that case you wouldn't fit my usage of the term, a belief in your own superiority is essential.

Dinosaur, I find it hard to believe you'd fit my personal usage either. TBH I've found that Guardianistas make the most offensive, ill-informed statements but think it's ok because they're trendy-lefty opinions. Times/telegraph types may believe that their own views are right but they don't dismiss differing views in quite the same way.

but I am deeply scarred (as is DH) by MIL and working in HE.

CountessDracula Tue 09-Mar-04 14:46:16

TBH I just thought it meant you were a bit of a jesus sandal wearing lefty (if we're talking stereotypes here).

CountessDracula Tue 09-Mar-04 14:47:34

Acutally I find Torygraph readers more dismissive of others' views than Grauniad readers. Don't know enough Times readers to comment on them.

Janh Tue 09-Mar-04 14:48:07

I have a very very right-wing uncle who used to ask, in tones of disbelief, why I didn't get the Telegraph.

He stopped doing it when I started asking him the same thing about the Guardian.

We only buy a G on Saturdays, but I read it every day on the internet - also (but less thoroughly) the Times, Telegraph, Mirror and Sun. The Mail doesn't have a free website so the poor things miss out on me.

I get non-recycled loo rolls from Lidl, buy organic bananas and I don't know much about art but I know what I like!

Which paper do you read, marialouisa?

doormat Tue 09-Mar-04 14:48:38

eeuggh yuck recycled bog roll-you wouldnt know who wiped their arse first

or am I being naive

Janh Tue 09-Mar-04 14:51:08

sorry, luisa!

dinosaur Tue 09-Mar-04 14:52:59

doormat I think that's the exact opposite of being naive!!

mind you by that token every time you drink a glass of water you have to think about the 20-odd people who've already drunk it...iyswim...

Off to get a bottle of Evian I think (actually that sounds quite guardianista, I'm sure guardianistas drink bottled water don't they?)

CountessDracula Tue 09-Mar-04 14:54:28

Probably only San Pellegrino!

marialuisa Tue 09-Mar-04 14:58:13

Well, flick through online versions of Guardian, Telegraph, Times and the Sun. We buy News of the Screws at the w/e (for the telly guide obviously )So, i might be an opinionated cow but you can't blame my reading matter!

CD's version of the term is probably nearer the general usage, but as I said I'm embittered.

Be careful that the bottled water doesn't come via a multi-national. They think multinationals are very bad

dinosaur Tue 09-Mar-04 14:58:35

B****** they don't sell that in the canteen here...

I shall have to throw my jesus sandals at them in a tantrum.

Blu Tue 09-Mar-04 14:59:33

not since the stuff-bottled-by-coke expose, Dino: tap water is all the eco-rage now. (And free of the dioxins from plastic bottles). That's what I read in the Guardian, anyway. (AND that Fiona Millar is Alistair Cambells wife)

dinosaur Tue 09-Mar-04 15:01:01

I guess where you work probably has an effect - I work in the City and I don't encounter many other Guardian readers here, so by definition the people who get up my nose are very unlikely to be Guardian readers. Whereas if you work in HE, I imagine you can't spit without hitting a Guardian reader, therefore by definition the people who annoy you are very likely to be Guardian readers. So it's all about context context context.

What about those of you who are self-employed - who do you get annoyed with??

dinosaur Tue 09-Mar-04 15:01:48

Darn it Blu, I'm slipping behind here...

(tiptoes off to pour bottle of Evian down sink)

Janh Tue 09-Mar-04 15:07:57

Do they spit a lot in HE?

CountessDracula Tue 09-Mar-04 15:09:08

When I was in HE I once spat on Barclays Bank's windows in protest. I was a student though

dinosaur Tue 09-Mar-04 15:16:16

CD!

Shall I start a thread for all onetime and current Guardianistas about "fings I did when I was right-on"?

(Mine - collected donations for miners' wives to buy towels and tampons during the miners' strike.)

marialuisa Tue 09-Mar-04 15:16:40

They do here. Suspect it may be regional though. A lecturer is being disciplined for spitting at staff who crossed his picket line the other week. bit silly really as 90% of the people he spat at weren't eligible for AUT membership anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now