Talk

Advanced search

Peaceful holiday suggestions?

(10 Posts)
GeoffLeopard Sun 09-Feb-14 09:38:14

I'm not sure where to post this so sorry if this is isn't the right place.

But... I live in London (not originally) and am craving some time away from the big smoke, somewhere quiet and peaceful. Maybe by a lake or the sea or a forest or mountains etc etc

Can anyone please recommend somewhere where you've stayed yourself which was really calm and peaceful? A good place to de-stress? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks xx

Honeysweet Sun 09-Feb-14 16:09:36

If you repost this on chat, you should get some helpful replies.

DottyDot Sun 09-Feb-14 16:12:46

We went to robin hoods bay last summer - fairly busy with tourists but we had a cottage by the sea in the old part of the village and the views were spectacular - and no cars because the roads are so narrow so everyone has to leave their cars at the top of the village. It was perfect for unwinding - long way from London but can highly recommend it!

GeoffLeopard Sun 09-Feb-14 19:35:55

Thanks Honeysweet have just done it...

Thanks Dotty Dot. I've been to Robin Hood Bay before a long time ago. It is really beautiful and very peaceful isn't it. Definitely one for the shortlist x

Ilovepsychology Sun 09-Feb-14 19:44:51

A barge holiday, we did short break last year, going for a week this year, worked for us as a family with boys aged 11 and 13 and the ILs. Took the fog too. Many routes possible but avoid ones with towns to give the peace you want. A busy but relaxing holiday, constantly changing scenery. Perfect.

In the UK or overseas? The most peaceful place I've been is the Drakensburg region of South Africa. I spent a week walking in the hills, picnics by the waterfall, early nights and good food.

In the UK I love Snowdonia for much the same reasons.

bakeroony Sun 09-Feb-14 19:55:01

Ditto the barge holiday idea...or go to the Lake District - plenty of scenery there (avoid the usual rambler's routes)

Abroad - the most peaceful beaches I've known were off the coast of Croatia e.g. the smaller islands around Hvar - even in August you could get most of a whole beach, or definitely a cove - to yourself. V cheap apartments too.

TheJumped Sun 09-Feb-14 20:07:42

I think you can't beat an island for that true 'away from everything' feeling, whether that's the Hebrides or a little Thai island.

meglet Sun 09-Feb-14 20:14:00

Lizard peninsula in west cornwall, it feels like another world. It's beautiful and not crammed with tourists (unless you go to kynance cove on a sunny day). I go for runs along the coastal path and watch seals bobbing about below me smile.

GeoffLeopard Sun 09-Feb-14 21:55:36

Ah wow... Even reading some of your replies has made me feel relaxed! I've never been on a barge holiday but DDs are 4 & 2 so would prefer to wait til they're older. I will check out the other suggestions. Thanks again! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now