Talk

Advanced search

Discrimination whilst Maternity leave

(2 Posts)
CharlW1 Fri 07-Feb-14 07:03:14

After recently experiencing discrimination whilst on maternity leave from work, it got me thinking to how common place this is.

My story is that the project team I was an integral part of (which I saw through from the beginning to its conclusion) was recognised at a works national meeting. Everyone from the project was asked up on stage apart from me (I was using a KIT day to attend said meeting). When I challenged it I was told it was because I was on maternity.

I know mine is a minor example but I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences.

arabellaandbaby Sat 15-Feb-14 08:58:56

Sorry to hear your story. That's so unfair that you didn't get asked on stage. You obviously played an integral part in it and should not have been overlooked. I would have been completely miffed too.

I had always had in my career progression plan at work to embark on the intermediate professional study course by a certain time.I asked the HR manager to check with the boss whether I could get straight on the course on my return to work.I was told no on two occasions. When I returned from maternity, I found out that a new colleague of mine who had started whilst I was away had been given the chance to study what I wanted to. I went straight to the boss and challenged her on why I had been refused when I had been with the firm for 4.5 years. She said I couldn't just demand it after returning from maternity.

I didn't settle for that, continued to challenge the boss and eventually I got the green light to do my studies. Although mine ended positively, I feel I shouldn't even have been put in that position in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now