Advanced search

Which shops/brands do you boycott and why?

(28 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 25-Nov-13 15:30:45

I want to do my moral bit but it seems that a lot of things are being boycotted of late and you can't boycott everyone!!

People I know boycott Nestle, Bodyshop, Maybelline, Garneir, L'oreal etc. The full list is here

Then I know other people boycotting Google, Arcadia, Boots, Barclays, Vodafone, Starbucks and Amazon for tax avoidance.

Then there's the brands that aren't signed up to the ETI. Plus wooden items, cotton items, chocolate, coffee, tea, sugar, fruit and veg that aren't Fairtrade.

Danann Mon 06-Jan-14 02:44:54

I don't think it is the same for soda water or tonic water, I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Cardiff Starbucks made a big deal of selling fair-trade coffee when they first started selling it and made people believe that they were an ethical company, actually only 1.6% of their coffee was fairtrade, the other 98.4% was from regular, badly paid coffee farmers, it was some very clever marketing as people see an advert saying they use fairtrade but never ask if that's all they use.

Squirrelsmum Sat 11-Jan-14 13:25:53

I think the issue with Walmart is their very low pay rates for staff.
I boycott Nestlé and was really disappointed when they took control of The Body Shop. There are a number of larger companies and their subsidiaries that I won't buy from.
I have an app on my phone from that is country specific and is a handy little tool to take shopping.
I refuse to give custom to any companies that use non sustainable palm oil, I don't buy any products with uncertified sustainable palm oil in them due to the devastation that palm oil plantations are causing, the use of palm oil will be the main cause of the extinction of the Sumatran orang-hutan, the Sumatran tiger, the Sumatran elephant and a host of other smaller species. It is truly tragic seeing what is happening in the low lying forests throughout Indonesia.

horsetowater Sat 11-Jan-14 13:52:19

Fairtrade bananas
Organic milk
Organic root veg
Nestle because the chocolate tastes bad
Whiskas cat food because it's addictive
Don't like Tesco and am seriously miffed at Sainsbury's because of prices

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now