Talk

Advanced search

heuristic play

(10 Posts)
squirmyworm Sun 22-Feb-04 19:31:55

got given a leaflet about this - anyone any idea what it is?

SoupDragon Sun 22-Feb-04 19:52:13

No idea whatsoever!!

Try this (although TBH, it leaves me none the wiser!)

Slinky Sun 22-Feb-04 20:12:42

We have this at our nursery. It is a way in which children can explore things that they see around them - that don't look like the usual toys.

In our Treasure Boxes, we have a selection of the following: wooden spoons, shells and pebbles, cotton reels, wooden dolly pegs, beads, hair curlers, pan scrubs, natural sponges, jar lids, brushes, large feathers, pumice stone, bells, pine cones.

squirmyworm Sun 22-Feb-04 20:29:44

aha - a use at last for that natural sponge I bought for labour and never used. I'm torn between thinking - 'oh good idea, that makes sense' and 'wot a load of b**l' anyone else?

suzywong Sun 22-Feb-04 21:02:38

<hand over mouth so as not to offend>
b***s

Is the same effect not achieved by leaving them alone in the kitchen/bathroom/garden for five minutes while they grab and study anything they can? (dangerous objects and the bleach cupboard secured of course)

Snowbell Sun 22-Feb-04 21:07:30

I took my DD to heuristic play sessions every week from when she was 9 months to 12 months. I decided not to continue after I saw her pick up a pine cone when we arrived one week and look at me as if to say "and what do you want me to do with it this week?" I think the principles make sense but there's not much value in paying to do classes if that's what your leaflet was about, Squirmyworm. You can collect everyday objects yourself for play at home.

twiglett Sun 22-Feb-04 21:10:31

message withdrawn

stupidgirl Sun 22-Feb-04 21:14:12

Agree about not paying, but I think it's a wonderful idea. I mean, there is limited learning value when you have a pile of plastic toys with the same textures and feel. They can get just as much play value from things like a fir cone and a sheet of tin foil than from another cloned plastic toy. Most toys have only a 'single use' - they can be played with in one way only. Natural toys rely far more on imagination. And, of course, they are also excellent if money is tight.

bobthebaby Sun 22-Feb-04 21:36:38

My ds is a natural - he emptied the toy box full of bright age appropriate toys onto our bedroom floor and filled it with our shoes instead.

Eulalia Sun 22-Feb-04 22:08:41

My dd aged 22 months loves playing with shoes and wellies, fiddling with the computer, dishwasher etc and along with ds age 4.5 removing the cushions from the sofa and bouncing on them. Also the two of them *love* mucking about outside with the dirty water that has accumulated in the paddling pool with a few spades, buckets etc.

A lot of their so-called toys aren't played with much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: