Talk

Advanced search

Inspirational ideas for "cheap" activities with the children wanted!

(14 Posts)
Sonnet Thu 19-Feb-04 13:53:28

Hi,
As the title says "can anybody help please".

to put it into perspective we have close family who are wealthy with 2 children similar ages to mine. Thes children have just been unindated with expensive toys and treats this half term - nothing unusual in that and TBH my kids appear to take it in their stride - but I'm feeling a bit down about it...So, I have decided to put a some effort in tomorrow as i am off work, and Sat and Sun which are quiet days and "do" something fun with the kids that dosn't cost in money terms but I am prepared to invest all my time.....

I wasn't working on Monday and we made a toy theatre out of a cardboard box and some finger puppets - this has been a great sucess and much played with this week.....
I do quite a lot of painting, sticking, cooking with them anyway - just looking for somthing different IYKWIM.....
By the way, they are both girls 7 & 3

Any ideas??
Thanks for reading....

twiglett Thu 19-Feb-04 14:01:03

message withdrawn

lilibet Thu 19-Feb-04 14:03:23

you made a theatre - wow!

A variation on twigletts is a birthday party for a certain toy, we have great fun decorating rooms, making food and then we have a party and play games with the toys.

Sonnet Thu 19-Feb-04 14:11:30

oh thanks Twigglet...that has brought a smile to my face....(My "common-sense" head tells me that children don't *need* all that but just sometimes my emotions get the better of me and I feel inadequate as a parent ) anyway enough of all that.
I live in the east midlands area..
Like the idea of a longe picnic....could invite the dolls and teds along, kids could make sandwiches, cakes etc in the morning..

singing/dancing - could dress up and do some play acting....

Thanks ever so Twiglett...
ps: my favourite anti-stress remedy is to dip Twigletts into a jar of marmite - mmm - presume there must be some link for you too?

Crunchie Thu 19-Feb-04 14:14:39

I love the full on carpet picnic, We sometimes do this but not planned out with a tent etc!

Sonnet Thu 19-Feb-04 14:14:45

Hi Lillibet - just a cardboard box, painted and decorated with glitter, and material threaded on a piece of elastic - great fun!! - actually got an idea to make a bigger one out of MDF with hinges so it folds away - but that's another story (if it works, I'll post on here!)
Like the toys birthday party idea - can build that into my idea below..

Thnaks for replying...

twiglett Thu 19-Feb-04 14:15:07

message withdrawn

Sonnet Thu 19-Feb-04 14:18:25

love the lining paper and paints etc....Does "normal" childrens paint go Ok on linning paper ?is it too absorbant?? just a niggle in my mind...

twiglett Thu 19-Feb-04 14:23:20

message withdrawn

Angeliz Thu 19-Feb-04 14:34:17

let them paint one bedroom wall

I am gonna decorate dd's rom oneday and let her go wild as she halped me with the bathroom a few months ago

Sonnet Thu 19-Feb-04 14:52:55

should have done that last month, Both DD's rooms now a girly pink and the other a girly Lavender...

fairydust Thu 19-Feb-04 15:24:55

Get some card and make the girls crowns -

sort through old clothes & shoes and dress them up and put a little make up on them to make it special.

then have the lounge picnic fit for a princess

i think they'll just apreciate you playing with them

Angeliz Thu 19-Feb-04 15:26:10

oooh that's good fairydust! Then you could get a film in your camera and do a fashion show with music and stuff.....oohhh can i come????

Sonnet Thu 19-Feb-04 15:33:58

oh - fantastic idea fairydust - and Angeliz....
don't know who will enjoy it more!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: