Talk

Advanced search

why oh why are all american house numbers in ths 1000s?

(10 Posts)
Californifrau Tue 06-Jun-06 18:09:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadySherlockofLGJ Tue 06-Jun-06 18:10:28

Why not............

hana Tue 06-Jun-06 18:16:04

could have something to do with emergency services and being registered on a citywide plan sort of thing. parents have a cottage on the beach - second one in from the dirt road and their number is 67
??

BudaBabe Tue 06-Jun-06 18:16:58

So they can pretend that they can count that high????

Tinker Tue 06-Jun-06 18:17:42

Are they numbered after the block?

hana Tue 06-Jun-06 18:18:53

now now budababe...!

Tex111 Tue 06-Jun-06 18:28:36

I think Hana has it right. My parents' house was No 11 but was changed to No 2917 due to 911 listings. I don't think there is any logical organisation in it though such as by block, etc though the houses do follow each other numerically. Not sure how the first house number is chosen though.

Zip codes, the equivalent to postcodes, are the same kind of thing. They don't progress numerically across the country or have any kind of logic as far as I can tell. Unless you happen to know a certain zip code for an area they don't make any sense. I was amazed when I came to the UK and could tell where someone lived just by their postcode!

BudaBabe Tue 06-Jun-06 18:32:34

Sorry! At least the numbesr do follow logic. Here in Hungary - not a hope!!!

scienceteacher Tue 06-Jun-06 18:36:11

When the original continental surveys were done, they put a grid over the whole country, and so everywhere has a grid reference. Not every house numbering system follows this, but those that do often have numbers in the 1000s.

Where we lived, every block is 100 numbers, so they evenly spread the propert numbers, and if they build something in between, it can have a number too. Ten blocks took up about a mile, so the 10000 block would be approximately 10 miles from Downtown, or east-west of the road that was deemed to go right through the middle.

scienceteacher Tue 06-Jun-06 18:40:57

Tex, the numbers are chosen to radiate from a fixed point. In Cincinnati, it is Vine Street/OH4 and the Ohio River.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: