Talk

Advanced search

Over-sized wine glasses turn us into accidental drunks?

(22 Posts)
JanH Tue 06-Jun-06 11:15:06

Only if we can't count, surely. Guardian piece.

LOL @ "I drink wine when I'm detoxing, because it's got fruit in it."

CountessDracula Tue 06-Jun-06 11:18:37

pathetic

If you can't work out that a large glass of wine has more units than a small one then you should go back to school

I agree though I have huge wine glasses but only put a little in the bottom

frogs Tue 06-Jun-06 11:40:56

I think it makes more difference than you think it will. We recently broke the last of our elegant large wine glasses and dh bought a set of normal (ie. very small) ones in our local market as a stop gap. We now find that there's always one glassful left in the bottom of the bottle at the end of an evening, whereas before we would easily finish the whole bottle between us.

I think it works subliminally, like the same portion of food feeling bigger on a smaller plate. Good way of cutting down on drinking without really trying.

moondog Tue 06-Jun-06 11:43:22

It is easy to overdo it,esp. as so much wine now is pretty alcoholic to boot.
I always laugh at ads for that portion control plate you can buy (divided up into wedges like a pie)
It costs about £20!!

The only thing that works for me is to drink less wine of better quality.
Have it in me to be total barfly unfortunately.....

JanH Tue 06-Jun-06 11:45:31

I use the little round 12-for-£3 ones at home but IME (not v wide admittedly) pubs don't seem to use the 125ml measure at all any more - they offer 175ml or 250ml. It works on me (not that I can't work it out, I just drink faster!)

dinosaure Tue 06-Jun-06 11:50:28

Agree with frogs, actually - I seem to be able to make a smaller glass last as long as a larger glass - so it does help.

motherinferior Tue 06-Jun-06 11:53:24

Ahem - I think you'll find that some other journalists have pointed this out before, ahem again, and suggested getting bog-standard smaller glasses.

I do think it makes a difference, myself. As do the alcohol experts, like Moira Plant - they tend to assess drinking now in terms of how much of the bottle you are drinking, for precisely that reason.

MrsBadger Tue 06-Jun-06 11:56:11

agree with frogs - we have large glasses too, and if you don't engage brain when pouring you do only get three glasses from a bottle

Kathy1972 Tue 06-Jun-06 12:12:11

Hmm.
I was (of course) aware that bigger glasses = more wine, but I wasn't really taking into account the fact that wine is often stronger now - I tend to count a pub glass as 2 units, whereas according to this it's more like 3 and a half.

DH and I have been looking for ages for some nice small wine glasses but the vast majority now are the big ones - not saying you can't get small, but so far we haven't found any we actually like.

CountessDracula Tue 06-Jun-06 12:14:09

Yes but you can have a big glass and still only pour a small amount in iyswim

FioFio Tue 06-Jun-06 12:18:18

Message deleted

Kathy1972 Tue 06-Jun-06 12:18:21

Yes you can, but I just don't like them - they're easier to knock over and don't fit in the dishwasher properly.
Specially don't like big glasses for white wine - it always seems to get warm quicker though I don't know if there is anything in this.

Kathy1972 Tue 06-Jun-06 12:20:13

My unit intake has been minute since 2004 since I've spent so much of the time pg or breastfeeding.
The question is, if I drink no units at all for nine months does that mean I am allowed 28 a week for the following 9?

CountessDracula Tue 06-Jun-06 12:20:15

dh and I get 3 glasses each from a bottle

I don't put my glasses in teh dishwasher!

frogs Tue 06-Jun-06 12:21:39

You can, CD, but I'd stake my mortgage that if you tried a properly-controlled experiment (eg. took a larg-ish sample and gave half big glasses and half old-fashioned small ones) you'd find that, other things being equal, the people with the bigger glasses would on average drink more than the people with the smaller ones.

The same principle has been pretty conclusively proven for food -- if you offer bigger portion sizes, people will eat more overall than if they get smaller portion sizes. And the same quantity of wine puddling around at the bottom of one of those big glasses somehow feels like not very much, compared to a small glass filled to the top. It's not rational, but then not much about human behaviour is rational.

Kathy1972 Tue 06-Jun-06 12:22:06

The dishwasher does wreck them, CD, so I insist on having cheap ones for everyday use so we can dishwash them and not worry.

Enid Tue 06-Jun-06 12:28:26

i have a special small glass I use when pg or bfeeding (seems like one or other has been going on forever)

CountessDracula Tue 06-Jun-06 12:29:27

now i am the opposite (how weird)

Give me a small glass and it is gone in no time

Give me same amout in big glass and it lasts ages

I am a freak obv

expatinscotland Tue 06-Jun-06 12:29:31

I use a small one and just top up as needed.

Kathy1972 Tue 06-Jun-06 12:30:48

Oh, how I miss wine.

CountessDracula Tue 06-Jun-06 12:57:06

have you given it up?

Kathy1972 Tue 06-Jun-06 12:59:17

Pregnant and just getting over hyperemesis.
It's bizarre to really long for something and yet know that if it was put in front of me I wouldn't be able to keep it down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: