Talk

Advanced search

Was this unfair?

(18 Posts)
joelalie Mon 05-Jun-06 11:54:30

DH and I took the children to an outdoor pool yesterday. As well as the pools it has a wet area with fountains, a wet slide, and various other water spouts. The floor is covered in antislip flooring and kids love it. Yesterday there were obviously lots of children of all ages there including several bigger ones There was a couple of mums with 3 little ones – the eldest about 3 I suppose. Both of them were sitting down watching whilst all three children played. One older boy of about 10 was running and knocked their little girl over – she screamed, he hung around and tried to help the little girl up, obviously upset that he’d hurt her. The mum got up, charged over and shouted really loudly at this boy that he was ‘a stupid little boy’, grabbed her child and stormed off. Now whilst I appreciate that she had had a fright, was it really fair to get angry with the boy, especially as he hadn’t just run off and left the child crying. It was a play area for all ages, children can’t really be expected to play calmly in a place like that and accidents do happen. I was quite sorry for the boy as he looked really upset and he was clearly not used to strangers shouting at him. I felt quite bristly about it for a while afterwards.

If she really didn’t want anything to happen to her toddler shouldn’t she have stayed with her all the time. Alternatively, and this would be my way, allow her to do her own thing, under supervision, and accept that minor accidents of this sort happen. WWYHD?

expatinscotland Mon 05-Jun-06 11:57:28

yes, that was totally uncalled for on her part. he was expressing remorse, he was trying to help, it was an accident. then he gets the message not to bother next time b/c he'll just get shouted down.

cow.

i'd have called her on it, too.

Lio Mon 05-Jun-06 12:00:29

Something similar happened to us and I told ds and the person who bumped into him that it was OK, it was just an accident, and luckily it was OK because ds was more shocked/upset than hurt.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Mon 05-Jun-06 12:05:58

utterly ridiculous. I can only assume she was a PFB. She should keep her in the paddling pool at home away from other children. . Was the 10 year old OK? I know 10 year olds who would be upset at being shouted at publically like that.

Serendippity Mon 05-Jun-06 12:17:02

Absoltly terrible, poor kid was trying to help her back up as well. Perhaps if he had just run off laughing it would be slightly different, tho i don't think she should have called him "a stupid boy" whatever the circumstances he was 10 ffs

NotQuiteCockney Mon 05-Jun-06 12:24:23

I'm with everyone else, the shouting mum wasn't really being sensible.

(What's a PFB?)

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Mon 05-Jun-06 12:31:33

Precious First Born. Copyright of Twiglett I think

joelalie Mon 05-Jun-06 12:33:37

I thought the 'little boy' bit was a bit much as well. In fact I assumed first of all that she knew him. Perhaps I should have called her a 'stupid old cow' to see how she liked it. But I didn't. Coward that I am.

Yes the boy was quite upset. If it had been my lad he'd have been totally devastated. He stood around at the edge of the play area looking very uncomfortable for ages afterwards. Wanted to go up and give him a hug - but I think he'd have preferred being called a little boy!!

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Mon 05-Jun-06 12:35:27

I suspect most 10 year old would have been really. I would have loved to have said something in that sort of situation but doubt I would have.

Bozza Mon 05-Jun-06 13:03:03

I reckon it sounds like a guilty reaction because she wasn't watching her DD closely enough. so she lashed out. Poor lad.

Bomper Mon 05-Jun-06 13:54:49

Whereabouts do you live Jolalie? It's just that we have an outdoor pool near us that sounds very similar!! BTW, the woman sounds like an old cow!!

Twiglett Mon 05-Jun-06 13:58:10

poor kid .. I'd have gone over and very loudly praised his reaction to the accident and tell him that his parents would be proud of him .. silly old cow

crazydazy Mon 05-Jun-06 13:59:52

No wouldn't have shouted at him but would have shouted at anyone who shouted at my kids!!!!

See Bomper - I am deffo following you

joelalie Mon 05-Jun-06 14:06:50

Bomper - the pool is in Street in Somerset. Is that the one you were thinking of?

Bomper Mon 05-Jun-06 14:19:29

Unfortunately no - I am miles away. What a shame it would have been nice to have a fellow mumsnetter so close by!! As for you Crazydazy - leave me alone woman!!!!

2shoes Mon 05-Jun-06 14:30:03

what a horrible woman

sunnydelight Mon 05-Jun-06 19:50:17

How horrible. As the mother of three with quite a big age range it really pisses me off that mums of little ones don't realise that ....... they will grow up When my eldest was 10 (and even now at the grand age of 12) I know he would be devestated if someone shouted at him like that, especially if he had hurt someone by accident.

SOULGIRL Mon 05-Jun-06 20:17:44

Noooo how could she DO that, poor lad - if he hadnt give a damn & had run off he would never have got a pasting (3 guesses for what he will do if it happens again)

I can still remember very clearly the first time a toddler stood on mine PFB (whilst it DOES make you catch your breath in horror if you are a well balanced mummy you realise that it wont be long until your babe is the boisterous toddler!!)

Even clearer is the 1st time my toddler knocked over someone elses babe!!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: