Talk

Advanced search

Low-key but nice civil wedding venue near or near-ish Oxford?

(34 Posts)
LeahE Sun 04-Jun-06 23:03:12

Friend-of-a-friend is getting married and is stumped over a venue. She and her DP are both pretty low-key, no-fuss, very "green" people and her ideal wedding would be something very simple held in a field or garden (clearly not possible as such, but gives you an idea of what she likes). All the registry offices she's looked at she's found a bit grim and soulless, and she doesn't really want big imposing traditional-style venues either.

Any ideas? I've seen Mumsnet come up trumps on this sort of thing before.

Pruni Sun 04-Jun-06 23:18:06

Message withdrawn

Skribble Sun 04-Jun-06 23:23:05

\link{http://www.forbetterforworse.co.uk/venues/spreadeagle.shtml\Not suggesting she goes for this but I couldn't stop laughing at the thought of putting this on your invites .

Skribble Sun 04-Jun-06 23:23:24

Not suggesting

Skribble Sun 04-Jun-06 23:28:03

On a mountain not very handy for Oxford.

thewomanwhothoughtshewasahat Sun 04-Jun-06 23:37:37

i've been to a very nice humanist ceremony in the holywell music room . It's quite big though. Not sure if it's licensed for civil cermonies or not

Skribble Sun 04-Jun-06 23:49:09

\link{http://www.luxters.co.uk/This barn looks lovely}
The Bimble Inn , hire this for the reception. I don't know if you can get married in it perhaps if the venue has a licence for there gardens}.

Skribble Sun 04-Jun-06 23:49:26

This barn looks lovely

Skribble Sun 04-Jun-06 23:52:36

link{http://www.manoir.com/web/olem/olemprivatediningweddings.jsp\The gardens of this venue}

Skribble Sun 04-Jun-06 23:52:55

The gardens of this venue

Lainey6 Mon 05-Jun-06 01:01:29

There must be somewhere within an hours drive that has a ruined castle, or public gardens? If not, please excuse my lack of local knowledge. I live in Scotland and looked at being married on the banks of Loch Lomand to all other Heritage Sites. Therefore, I know exactly where your friend is coming from!

Is there not an 'English Heritage' website. That could be helpful.

Good Luck!
x

NotQuiteCockney Mon 05-Jun-06 06:47:32

I got married here . Very nice, very simple. Oh, and you can bring in your own caterers (or at least you could). Most places have tied caterers.

lexiemum Mon 05-Jun-06 07:34:26

I got married at Hawkwell House Hotel in Iffley - was very low key, not an imposing hotel or traditional - you decide what you want; but maybe not what she wants.

These are suggestions - don't know if they are registered:
How about Blenhim Palace? Upton House nr Banbury (NT house); friend getting married at a hotel in Dorchester (A4074 to Reading) - the areas nice - wonder whether that would work.
Anything in Abingdon, near the river?

I'm sure I got a list of registered venues in Oxfordshire from the central registry office in OXford - has your friend got the list?

lexiemum Mon 05-Jun-06 07:38:29

hawkwell house

what about wolvercote - got all the open fields with views of the spires of oxford and ready set up bbq's for a self service meal?

Pruni Mon 05-Jun-06 07:59:32

Message withdrawn

zippitippitoes Mon 05-Jun-06 08:49:31

What about Friars Court, lovely gardens but quite low key and you can arrange the wedding day very flexibly vis a vis caterers etc

friars Court oxon

LeahE Mon 05-Jun-06 08:51:29

Thanks, many of these ideas sound great!

Lainey6 -- in England you can't get married outdoors and can only have a civil ceremony in specific licensed buildings, which tend to be hotels and such. And humanist weddings aren't legal by themselves here as they are now in Scotland. But I can't believe I didn't think to suggest a quick legal job in the registry office and then a nice humanist ceremony outside or wherever she wants -- that may be just the ticket...

zippitippitoes Mon 05-Jun-06 08:51:45

they even have a renewavle energy unit for their electricity!

FioFio Mon 05-Jun-06 08:52:44

Message deleted

thewomanwhothoughtshewasahat Mon 05-Jun-06 13:50:27

leah - that's what my sil did - quick ceremony at register office on the friday with immediate family only, then the humanist one at the music rooms on the Saturday. for me personally I would have made the register office one even less signficant than they did, as it did feel a bit like a split ceremony. I'd have treated it like a pre-ceremony bureacratic procedure and gone in my jeans with only witnesses

OldieMum Mon 05-Jun-06 13:56:24

We got married at the Oxford register office and we thought it was fine. Doing that would then give you so much more choice about venues. Having said that, I went to a reception at Laines Barn a long time ago and it was a nice, informal venue.

wilbur Mon 05-Jun-06 13:58:16

We went to a wonderful wedding a few years ago at Laines Barn which is near Oxford somewhere. V laid back, lovely building. Will try and find a link.

JackieNo Mon 05-Jun-06 13:59:03

Agree - Lains Barn very nice.

wilbur Mon 05-Jun-06 14:02:27

Spelt it wrong - here it is

Twiglett Mon 05-Jun-06 14:02:59

woburn abbey?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: