Talk

Advanced search

Bloody hosepipe ban. Need to fill up the paddling pool :(

(20 Posts)
Blossomhill Sun 04-Jun-06 12:09:21

Perfect day for it and can't fill up our paddling pool without a hose

southeastastra Sun 04-Jun-06 13:10:11

just do it ! it will take ages with a bucket !

SoupDragon Sun 04-Jun-06 13:11:23

Um... I think you're kind of missing the point of the hosepipe ban!!

mears Sun 04-Jun-06 13:12:11

Isn't that the point Blossomhill?

SparklyGothKat Sun 04-Jun-06 13:13:17

I thought you were allowed to fill a paddling pool.

mears Sun 04-Jun-06 13:14:03

Isn't that technically a waste of valuable water though? Lovely pasttime but not essential.

southeastastra Sun 04-Jun-06 13:14:11

does it mean that you can fill it up with buckets and just not use a hosepipe? We havent had any letters yet about a ban or is all country!

SparklyGothKat Sun 04-Jun-06 13:15:06

just found this

Can I fill up a paddling pool during a ban?

Yes. However we would ask customers to be water-efficient and avoid filling them to the top. Children can play just as happily in a half filled pool. Also, you should try to make the most of the water by saving the water in the pool and using it to water your plants when the sun goes down.
If you do want to reuse a pool, please try to avoid the need for refilling it by using cleaning products and filters (approved by your paddling pool supplier).

We would appreciate it if customers discontinued the use of paddling pools during drought conditions.

psychomum5 Sun 04-Jun-06 13:15:53

Fill it with buckets of warm water and just claim it is their daily bath taken in a different setting

SparklyGothKat Sun 04-Jun-06 13:16:14

So BH fill that paddling pool

Kelly1978 Sun 04-Jun-06 13:16:26

I did it anyway, not sure if filling it up is banned or not. The water won't be wasted as I will use it to water the garden afterwards. I don't have a lot of time for these hosepipe bans anyway, they should fix the bloody leaks rather than keep issuing bans.

SoupDragon Sun 04-Jun-06 13:16:41

East Surrey and Sutton Water have a drought order in place which bans;

# the filling (whether wholly or partially) of privately owned swimming pools, other than -
(i) pools designed to be used in the course of a programme of medical treatment;
(ii) the filling of pools where necessary in the course of their construction;
# the filling (whether wholly or partially) of ornamental ponds other than fish ponds;

I think you can include paddling pools in there.

Kelly1978 Sun 04-Jun-06 13:17:10

crossed psots there, I only put a few inches in too, so i guess I am beign a good girl.

SparklyGothKat Sun 04-Jun-06 13:19:23

the info I put up was from three valleys waters

Twiglett Sun 04-Jun-06 13:20:16

thames water allows filling of swimming pools and watering of container plants

mears Sun 04-Jun-06 13:23:05

You are right kelly - the pipes should be adequately maintained. However, that will take time and if there ends up being no water available in drought conditions, I think the filling of paddling pools would be viewed as unnecessary. Glad there isn't a ban here

Katymac Sun 04-Jun-06 13:24:11

Why not use their bath water (just let it cool - then use a bucket)

LucyJones Sun 04-Jun-06 13:28:18

lol at need to fill up the paddling pool.... Can't you just explain to your lo's that there is a water shortage and they can play with something else instead

southeastastra Sun 04-Jun-06 13:43:19

the radio has just said thunder later (london area). Id just fill it with a little water and enjoy while you can.

Skribble Sun 04-Jun-06 14:27:18

Yiou do have to laugh though, water shortages in the UK, with the amount of rain we get you think they would mange to keep it flowing.

I amin Scotland and if they start banning hose pipes her I will be seriously p**shed off. I will just fill my buckets from the big river out the back door then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: