Advanced search

URGENT - I Desperately need benefit advice - What am I entitled to????

(11 Posts)
busybusybee Sat 03-Jun-06 10:22:04

I would really appreciate some advice

I need to move as soon as possible - long sob story involving H wanting us to separate (we will both have to move)

I have found a perfect house - perfect location etc. Its £475 pcm.
I got a pretenancy rent determination back today which says Ill get £346 housing benefit a month.

Assuming I am on incomesupport How can I make up the shortfall???? How many hours/much money am I allowed to make per week before it affects the benefits I get.

Please help if you can - I feel like I am losing all my remaining marbles

busybusybee Sat 03-Jun-06 10:27:28


MarsLady Sat 03-Jun-06 10:29:21

there's a website called try there darling.

busybusybee Sat 03-Jun-06 10:30:16

I tried that before and it didnt really seem to help!

busybusybee Sat 03-Jun-06 10:33:52

I thought I was allowed to work up to 16 hours a week without it affecting benefits - Is that true????

Some muppet is telling me Im only allowed to earn £20 a week

LIZS Sat 03-Jun-06 10:36:06

Ought n't your H have to make any contribution to the roof over your and kids ' heads ?

Wallace Sat 03-Jun-06 10:41:10

I think you can work up to 16hours a week and still be on income support or job seekers allowance, but the money you earn would get taken off your benefit

Wallace Sat 03-Jun-06 10:42:36

I think

busybusybee Sat 03-Jun-06 10:44:17

Really oh pants

I know thats the case for any money h gives me

H seems to think Im allowed to work up to 16 hours a week without it affecting income support

Melpomene Sat 03-Jun-06 14:12:00

The first £20 of earnings is disregarded (for lone parents). Any earnings on top of that will affect your income support.

You can apply to the council for a discretionary housing benefit to top up your Housing Benefit to make up the shortfall. discretionary payments are hard to get though; it will help if you have special factors like illness in the family or a special reason for needing to live in that type of house or that location.

You should apply for child maintenance. Child Maintenance Premium allows you to keep £10 a week extra income from Child Maintenance on top of any Income Support you’re getting.

You could try going to the Citizens Advice Bureau for a benefits check - they may be able to help with applying for a discretionary housing payment or appealing against the decision to restrict your housing benefit.

Also, you may be able to get a loan or grant from the Social Fund to cover removal expenses, new furniture etc though that is also discretionary and there is a limited budget.

Good luck.

Melpomene Sat 03-Jun-06 14:17:11

housing benefit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: