Talk

Advanced search

weston-super mare

(10 Posts)
mumo75 Wed 31-May-06 22:03:53

anyone live in w-s-m whats it like??? We are thinking of moving there???I s it good for children of different ages eg 19-5yrs

Flossam Wed 31-May-06 22:11:08

I've just been there today!!

I think it is much like any area in that there are good and bad areas.

Being there today, it seems to be very much full of the 'less desirables' without wanting to sound snobby (lots of feck offs in the street and one full on verbal assualt which resulted in tears. But then, it is somewhere to go for your hols on a budget, so whether these people live there or just stay there I don't know. You will still have to put up with them for around six months of the year

I have romantic notions about living by the sea, but TBH it wouldn't be at WSM. Having said that I really really love going there for the day. Go visit and see how you feel about it.

Beauregard Wed 31-May-06 22:11:22

I dont live there but went yesterday and i thought it was fab,nice shopping centre,park's,housing and plenty of thing's to do.I know visiting is never the same as living there but even so 1st impressions were good!

mumo75 Wed 31-May-06 22:20:04

thank you flossom i was also there to day!!small world lol

mumo75 Wed 31-May-06 22:23:19

also thank you pelvicfloornomore we live in bristol so not far away from w-s-m just thought it would be quite nice to live there and saw some cheap big houses too

azroc Wed 31-May-06 22:24:36

I wouldn't live in the town itself as there is a youth crime/disorder problem. Also is chocka-block with tourists a lot of the time which is odd as it's really not the best seaside town! (Rarely see the sea, hence Weston-Super-Mud)
However, if you can afford it there are lots of lovely villages nearby. Somerset generally is a lovely county so look around a bit before you commit. Opinions on other towns/areas readily given

Flossam Wed 31-May-06 22:33:08

Well if you saw a manic mother and a toddler running around on the beach and her skirt blowing up you will have seen me!

joelalie Thu 01-Jun-06 07:55:45

Personally can't stand the place - but that's just bigotry on my part 'cos I grew up near there and mil lives there.... . However the sensible part of me has to admit that there are some nice bits. Kewstoke, Sand Bay, Uphill are all very nice. WSM has good shopping and most of the major supermarkets. There are a lot of nicer places within easy distance of WSM - my parents live in WInscombe, Banwell is quite nice (if you don't live on the main road), Bleadon....but quite pricey. The further away you get from Bristol the cheaper it gets generally - WSM area is still commuter belt for the city so is still expensive.

joelalie Thu 01-Jun-06 07:57:54

PS Bournville estate in WSM is a bit scary - I seem to remember that it had a really bad reputation for violence and crime in the past. But that's only one bit of the town and my sil lives there now - she's OK

azroc Thu 01-Jun-06 16:27:03

joelalie - my grandmother lived in winscombe until nearly 2 years ago. Small world, innit?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: