Talk

Advanced search

What age clothes of your 1st baby do you keep for the 2nd baby?

(34 Posts)
biglips Wed 31-May-06 13:37:16

as im up to age 24 months and would like to have another baby in the near future

does the title make sense?

nailpolish Wed 31-May-06 13:38:37

i kept all clothes that i liked and were in good condition

i still put aside dd1's clothes for dd2

dd1=3.7

dd2=1.7

oliveoil Wed 31-May-06 13:45:43

All of the newborn stuff (as it gets worn for about half an hour)

Any expensive stuff bought as presents and anything without stains (!).

I was foolish and had a 22 month gap between mine so didn't have to keep them for very long!

dd1=3.7yrs
dd2=21 months

My friend has 7 years between her dd's and has a loft full of bin bags.

MrsBigD Wed 31-May-06 13:50:05

I kept most stuff, but then again dd didn't grow very fast so got lots of wear out of everything. She discovered pink at the age of 2.5/3 though so anything after that I won't keep because I think ds would look silly in a pink frilly dress

Though will hang on to nice gifts for friends/brother if and when they 'sprout'

Saying that dd can still squeeze into ds's bodies no problem! He's 20 months she's 4.5y! As they are each on the opposite end of the percentiles does that mean I have 2 average sized kids? LOL

oliveoil Wed 31-May-06 13:55:32

What annoyed me was that I am a season out, iyswim, so stuff that is wintery fits her in summer and vice versa.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Bad planning .

kate100 Wed 31-May-06 13:55:37

I kept everything that was in good condition, in case I had another boy which I did. Now ds1 is in 2-3 and 3-4 clothes I can see that less and less will be getting passed on as it is so tatty. Also, ds2 is coming up for 1 and some o the things that I had for ds1, just don't look right on him as he's developing his own little personality. So I'd sat stop collecting everythingat about 12 months and then keep the nice things.

kate100 Wed 31-May-06 13:56:27

I didn't have the seasonal problem as my boys birthday re 2 days apart and their birth weights were an oz different.

nailpolish Wed 31-May-06 13:56:42

ah well you see OO i have exactly a 24 month gap so i am seasonally correct

ladymuck Wed 31-May-06 13:56:49

I must be tight - I've kept practically everything so far (ds1 = 5). Trousers is the one thing that ds1 was particularly hard on, but ds2 is lucky to get 2 new itesm of clothing in a year....

hana Wed 31-May-06 13:57:50

mostly everything! oldest dd is nearly 5 and baby is 17 months. and now packing away for third! almost want to find out sex just so I can get rid of some of the bags stored everywhere!!

although am finding now that oldest clothes are not lasting as long as she wears them longer and they get stained and the knees go, etc etc

nailpolish Wed 31-May-06 13:59:28

was just about to say that hana

the older they get the less clothes there are to hand down, what with grass stains, felt pen, trousers with no knees after bike-riding etc

oliveoil Wed 31-May-06 14:00:25

The only things that dd2 has been bought new are socks and vests, everything else is hand me downs, fabulous!

apronstrings Wed 31-May-06 14:01:19

lots of my newborn stuff did all 4 of mine spanning 9 years. Once they start eating I found carrot stains really hard to remove so only kept good/favourite stuff. my boys are 4 years apart and very different shapes thay can quite frequently pass tops without them even being put away. My girls are 9 years apart so there is no point.

nailpolish Wed 31-May-06 14:03:08

i remember getting out the tiny vests for dd2 that i had kept in storage for 2 years

they still smelt (smelled?) of dd1

i sat for about 2 hours taking them out of the bag one by one and sniffing them

and oohing and aahing at the tiny socks etc

(damn, getting broody again)

oliveoil Wed 31-May-06 14:05:05

tiny vests get me everytime

dd1 has kept a couple for her teddies and dresses them up and insists that she was "never that small mummy, don't be silly"

<sob>

hana Wed 31-May-06 14:05:58

aww nailpolish - that has made my eyes wet!

those with kids starting school - do they need less clothes because of wearing a uniform 5 days a week? I usually buy ahead in the sales but haven't bought much for dd1 because she is starting school - is that the case?

nailpolish Wed 31-May-06 14:08:26

oh hana PLEASE dont mention school, my dd1 starts pre-school in august and she has now got a sweatshirt and 2 polo shirts with 'XXXXX primary school nursery' on it

<wail>

LIZS Wed 31-May-06 14:09:00

Kept them all ! ds was 3 & 5mnths when dd was born . After about 2/3 they became a bit too boyish and dd has used less of his as time has gone on. After she arrived many of the more expensive items, such as coats and fleeces, have tended to be fairly unisex so she can still use them. For 2 of same sex I'd keep and reuse all in decent condition and that you still like.

kate100 Wed 31-May-06 14:12:31

Nailpolish, I did that too. I've given them away now and it makes me very sad

nailpolish Wed 31-May-06 14:14:29

yes i am giving mine away now as dd2 grows out of them

must stay away from this thread as its a tear-jerker

biglips keep them all! you will be glad you did

apronstrings Wed 31-May-06 14:14:46

STOP..your making me broody

LIZS Wed 31-May-06 14:18:07

<confession> ds is 8 now and we still have most of his ! I did give some baby vests and sleepsuits to the Tsunami appeal and some of his bigger baby clothes to a friend though, and should have a new niece or nephew later this year who may get some use otu of them.

apronstrings Wed 31-May-06 14:22:46

I have sorted too now and have just one of those tiny vest and babygros and each of their first shoes. A couple of other special outfits. Could cry,cos I'll never have to wash them all through ready for the next one... oh well[big sigh]

apronstrings Wed 31-May-06 14:23:27

all welled up now

kate100 Wed 31-May-06 14:27:38

I still have a big box of clothes that my boys have worn that I have very string memories of them in, like the dungarees ds1 was wearing when I took him to meet my friends baby, they lay on a mat and cooed at each other and are great playmates now ( they were 10 weeks and 2 weeks respectively) and ds2's bear suit which he looked soooo adorable in. Can't believe I'm not having anymore baby's

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: