Talk

Advanced search

do you leave your modem/computer on all night/constantly?

(16 Posts)
FloatingOnTheMed Wed 31-May-06 13:00:59

I do, my dad who is an IT guy says it's better for them than turning them on & off all the time.

But boyf has got me wondering if esp the modem will get too hot & blow up! Should I be at least turning the modem off?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 31-May-06 13:05:45

Ours goes off (both PC and modem) May be better for the computer to be on but it's better for electric bill to be off! And I'd worry about it being a fire hazard at night.

TheHonArfy Wed 31-May-06 13:08:54

NO NO NO
Turning them off and on once a day (for overnight) isn't going to hurt them
It is a fire hazard

AND most importantly

PCs being left on constantly is a huge waste of electricity and extremely dodgy environmentally. It's well known as one of the biggest wasters of resources. Any company with any conscience at all (and large utility bills!) now insists PCs are switched off overnight

zephyrcat Wed 31-May-06 13:08:59

I switch ours both right off - am too worried about the fire hazard as well.

suejonez Wed 31-May-06 13:09:16

I turn mine off. Its a laptop and I think it (and the modem) would get too hot left on, also I'd like to think I'm doing my tiny bit for the planet by not using that extra bit of electricity.

FloatingOnTheMed Wed 31-May-06 13:10:48

ok good i'm convinced. plus it'll put me off coming on here quickly if i have to turn it all on! ps my lunch is waiting dd is eating on her own

i think i just assumed it was all ok cos my parents have theirs on constantly. i never thought anything of it.

Kathlean Wed 31-May-06 16:17:27

Mine is left on overnight if it is busy doing things for me. Otherwise I have one of the multi-gang power supplies where when you turn the actual pc off it automatically turns off everything else, monitor, speakers, printer etc.

This means that they are not even left on stand-by which saves even more electricity.

I also use one of these on the tv so when that goes off the dvd, video, sky box etc all turn off as well.

Pixel Wed 31-May-06 22:10:39

I turn my laptop off whenever I pop out and at night ever since dh's laptop caught fire. Luckily we were in the room at the time so it was easily dealt with but it could have been a disaster. His was a fairly new machine and mine is ancient so even more of a risk I think.

kama Wed 31-May-06 22:15:57

Message withdrawn

NomDePlume Wed 31-May-06 22:17:22

We switch the pc off, the adsl modem is left on. Also leave our printer in 'sleeping' mode

2shoes Wed 31-May-06 22:19:11

i always turn it off after reading about a house fire stared by a computor on stand by

JanH Wed 31-May-06 22:24:41

Ours goes off at the mains every night.

As we quite often have to reboot during the day when the PC/internet hangs I can't see that turning it off at night can be bad for it!

FloatingOnTheMed Wed 31-May-06 22:25:10

oh god will def turn it off in future.

why do you leave the modems on?

NomDePlume Wed 31-May-06 22:26:32

No reason for leaving the modem on here, other than turning it off means crawling about under the desk everytime.

stitch Wed 31-May-06 22:28:00

mine is rarely, to never turned off

JanH Wed 31-May-06 22:31:33

Our modem is powered via the PC so when the PC is off the modem is off [puzzled]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: