Talk

Advanced search

Ooooh!B****y 'ell! Don't know what to do.<wrings hands>

(22 Posts)
sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 11:54:53

A neighbour has just been at the door,to tell me that he'd just caught a kid nicking the hub caps off my car.The kid was in the process of putting them back on,when I looked.
He came over,tidy,well spoken,polite.He apologised,told me his name,where he lives,his phone number,that his mum is out(she is,I just phoned)what school he goes to.
So now what,do I call the police and get all heavy,when in effect no harm was done(but only because the neighbour saw him)
Phone the mum later and risk all kinds of ear chewing,retribution and god knows what?
Or keep schtum?

For the record,12 year old Ds1 says tell the police.My instinct says phone the mum later and hope she's reasonable.

HELP!!!

sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 11:55:20

The lad is 13 btw.

Piffle Wed 31-May-06 11:56:01

Phone the mum.
If she is suitably apologetic and suitbaly upset then leave it at that If she is rude or whatever, let the cops know

sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 11:56:20

I also don't think the police will bother to do anything,so that would maybe give the kid the wrong messages.

spacedonkey Wed 31-May-06 11:57:30

I'd call the mum. The way the lad concerned has behaved seems to suggest he's not a standard issue lout, although what he was doing with your hub caps I have no idea

oliveoil Wed 31-May-06 11:57:51

I wouldn't do anything tbh.

Police wouldn't give two craps imo.

sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 12:00:03

SD,I asked him what he was doing and he didn't know!<rolls eyes>
He definately wasn't standard lout.
I think he was just having a t**t moment,y'know?

Esmummy Wed 31-May-06 12:00:11

Police wont care and the boy seemed apologetic enough, I would give him the benefit of the doubt but keep hold of the info incase you find him loitering around your car again.

TheOutlawJessaOfJamberoo Wed 31-May-06 12:03:10

hmmm...I cornered a little twunt who had jsut smashed the window on our van and was in process of trying to make off with the cd player...he was quite polite too!

Suspect cops will do bugg*r all.

Just don't be fooled by politeness...

sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 12:17:44

Oh flippin' 'eck his mum is going to deck me!

Piffle Wed 31-May-06 12:34:10

when my ds was pushed over at a aprk he broke his arm seriously.
The lad who pushed him never meant to really injure him, it was a misunderstanding and he left ds there not knowing he'd really hurt him.
So I called the local cop shop and explained, they came over and took it very seriously - we actually knew who it was as one of ds old friends had seen what ahd happened
Now seriously we did not blame this lad for breaking ds's arm per se, it was the way ds fell - kids get pushed over all the time
But the cops were very good about taking the time to go around and explain to this kid and his mum what he had done
Cops I am sure would be happy to pop around and just say a word or two might put the frighteners on a young kid on the cusp of going bad...

sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 14:13:18

She's still out.
My stomach is in knots.

Avalon Wed 31-May-06 14:29:11

I think I would report it. What if they go missing next week and your neighbour doesn't see it happening?

Avalon Wed 31-May-06 14:29:48

Meant to say - at least they'd have a likely suspect.

Rhubarb Wed 31-May-06 14:31:14

I'd clip him round the ear and do nowt else. He apologised, that's all I'd need really.

sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 14:35:04

Just spoke to Dh and he was the kid hung from the nearest lamp post

Rhubarb Wed 31-May-06 14:38:04

The kid put them back on, he was really polite, he offered you information about himself and he apologised. I would leave it at that. He's probably crapping himself that you'll tell his mum anyway!

SHHHH Wed 31-May-06 14:42:52

sf I would be the same as you are now..!!

Reminds me though of a time when dh has recently bought a new sparkler of a car..he parked it at the other end of the car park away from people who love to ram trollies into your car doors, or those who love to open their doors into yours. Anyway, on returning to his car he noticed a group of 3/4 lads stoof around his car wheels. Upon closer inspection he noticed that one had a open packet of kechup and was stanping onto the ketchup allowing it to spray up his wheels ..!!!

DH (who can be slightly wound up easily) grabbed hold of the offender and told him to wipe it off. The lad replied " I have nowt to wipe it off with"..dh replied, yes you have...your coat....He stood and watched while the lad wipe the ketchup of his lovely once shiney aloys..! .

When dh told me the story I thought he was joking BUT he assured me, there was no way he was standing back and watching. He's sick of some of the "youths" of today.

OOpppsss. sorry to hijack .

SHHHH Wed 31-May-06 14:44:15

dh had a point though...the lad probably had to explain to his mother why he had ketchup over his coat...but then again she was probably off down the pub.!

sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 14:55:55

Just spoken to his mum.Entirely reasonable,very nice woman
Lad's dad is a copper!!I think my work is done.
All sorted.
What a relief.<phew>

sugarfree Wed 31-May-06 14:56:21

Thanks everyone.

Rhubarb Wed 31-May-06 15:03:03

Ah, son of a copper, why didn't you say so? Poor lad's probably a bit screwed up!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: