Talk

Advanced search

Breakfast bar or table

(10 Posts)
noddyholder Tue 30-May-06 13:57:41

If you had a bigger table in another dining room would you be happy with a breakfast bar and stools in the kitchen?Or would you still prefer a table and chairs?I have dining table already and kitchen fitters are able to make a solid wood breakfast bar to match worktops It would save me buying a table and I have seen some nice stools with backs.I think it would give us more room but dp says he likes a table better.What do you prefer?

LadySherlockofLGJ Tue 30-May-06 13:58:51

Table.

JackieNo Tue 30-May-06 13:58:58

How old are your children? If they're small, it might be more difficult for them to sit at a (presumably high) breakfast bar rather than a table?

BettySpaghetti Tue 30-May-06 14:00:26

Definately a table -seems more practical and flexible (and have never particularly liked breakfast bars either)

Gingerbear Tue 30-May-06 14:00:32

table is more useful. My Brother has a breakfast bar and it just becomes a dumping ground for everything that passes through the kitchen.

MrsBadgerAvecUneVoiture Tue 30-May-06 14:04:30

table every time - I like them better to sit at to eat and definitely prefer them if not eating eg relaxing w coffee, reading paper, writing etc. I also find that breakfast bars where you all sit in a line are remarkably antisocial - much prefer seeing people's faces!

A table also means that if you want/need to change the layout of the kitchen later (add bigger freezer, tumble dryer, playpen, cat bed etc etc) you can be more flexible, swapping it for a smaller table if need be.
The tables that fix to the wall (thus ) and fold down if neccesary are pretty good - leave them up for eating but fold away if space is needed temporarily for something else.
I also find that a breakfast bar becomes and extension of the kitchen counter hence accumulates post, fruit bowl, washing up etc till there's not room to eat at it!

Kelly1978 Tue 30-May-06 14:04:52

bfast bar. I had one in my old flat and LOVED it. It was used all the time, even by the kids, who were only 2 and 4 then. We had stools with backs and they managed fine.

NomDePlume Tue 30-May-06 14:06:44

Table if I had the room (and it wouldn't crowd the room)

Breakfast bar if a table would make the room feel a bit tight.

SaintofGeorgia Tue 30-May-06 14:09:37

Biggest worksurface in my kitchen doubles as a breakfast bar because it is longer than the cupboards underneath IYSWIM. We have stools with high backs. The kids love it and I wouldn't be without it.

Do have a table in the other room though, not sure I would feel the same without that.

noddyholder Tue 30-May-06 14:54:42

There would be a big table in the other room.I would be able to have a breakfast bar that would seat 6 three along each side so would be more space efficient than table.Can't decide and builders need to know AAAgh!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: