Talk

Advanced search

Cutting tiles

(11 Posts)
kid Tue 30-May-06 10:33:15

Is there an easy way to do it?
We tiled our kitchen almost 2 years ago but still haven't finished the tiles around the plug sockets . I have tried several times to cut one specific shaped tile but it breaks everytime. It needs to end up looking like an 'I'
I have some sort of tile hacksaw but its not as easy as I thought it would be. Any tips would be great as I don't want to end up breaking the last of the tiles!

Moomin Tue 30-May-06 10:54:35

think you're best off with a tile cutter like this . can you buy or borrow one?

Moomin Tue 30-May-06 10:55:54

btw i also think would be very tricky to do 'i' shape. you may have to assemble the shape out of small pieces and glue then without grout between them so the join doesn't show.

anorak Tue 30-May-06 10:57:12

Hi kid. I do a lot of tiling and I know how hard it is to try and cut with a tile saw. Straight cuts I expect you've been doing with a hand tile cutter, where you score a line on the tile and then break the tile on that line. But the odd shaped cuts are very very hard to do with these tools. An electric cutter is a fab thing to use. You can cut virtually any shape with it. If you don't want to go to the expense of buying one you could hire one from a hire shop. If you live anywhere near me (West Herts) you are welcome to mark the tile and bring it here and I will cut it for you.

anorak Tue 30-May-06 10:58:19

Moomin the way you do it is to cut a lot of lines from the sides into the middle of the "I" and then snip them off with tile nibblers.

kid Tue 30-May-06 11:02:23

I'm in Hackney (east London) Its only one tile that is really making my life a misery! The rest that need cutting are straight lines which I can do even though they are time consuming.

The other difficulty I am having is making small strip of tile stay in place. Its got to go above a plug socket but it just falls. I have attempted it twice so far.

anorak Tue 30-May-06 11:05:59

When you put up small pieces you need to use a lot more adhesive than when you place larger pieces. "Butter" the back of the tile with a knife.

anorak Tue 30-May-06 11:07:54

Before I had my electric cutter I tiled with some very very hard tiles on one project - they were really hard to cut with a hand cutter. When it came to the awkward shapes it was just impossible.

I got around it by taking the tiles back to the shop and getting them to cut them for me there. It was a big tile warehouse though, I don't know if you could do that if you bought your tiles in B & Q!

kid Tue 30-May-06 11:13:51

I bought the tiles from topps tiles but it was almost 2 years ago, I think I still have the receipt but would be so embarrassed going back after all this time!

I have cut half of the tile this morning and took a break as I was getting fed up with it. If I do it slowly and gradually I might have more patience with it. I just expect it to break as I am doing the final cut.

kid Tue 30-May-06 13:44:12

I managed to do the tricky shaped tile, so thats 1 down and 12 more to go!

anorak Tue 30-May-06 14:01:07

Glad to hear you managed to do it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: