Talk

Advanced search

What does it mean when a groom gets given a pen at a wedding?

(15 Posts)
monkeytrousers Mon 29-May-06 17:34:30

I read somewhere that it was a bit of an insult - but it never said why. Is it?

monkeytrousers Tue 30-May-06 09:46:37

Dur, I meant when an usher - is that what they call them?

Rhubarb Tue 30-May-06 09:47:34

Usher yeah. Dunno, why is it an insult? Nowt wrong with a nice boxed fountain type pen!

LadySherlockofLGJ Tue 30-May-06 09:47:41

I knew weddings were minefields but Lord God that is madness.

KommandantColditz Tue 30-May-06 09:48:08

They are expected to write all the thankyou notes, that's what

MrsBadgerAvecUneVoiture Tue 30-May-06 09:49:37

don't think it's an insult at all

at least it's useful - ours wanted, and got, petwer tankards which are no use for anything (except keeping pens in, of course).

Actually DH was an usher ages ago and everyone else got pens - he got an engraved Zippo which he thought was pretty naff.

Rhubarb Tue 30-May-06 09:52:25

It's not like they do much though is it? We didn't have any usher's and I can't say the service went to chaos through lack of them! Didn't have any bridesmaids either - I'm a miserable git!

MrsBadgerAvecUneVoiture Tue 30-May-06 10:00:40

Apart from one reading and directing elderly aunts to the loo, ours didn't do much during the day either. Mostly they were moral support for DH during the morning, where they were definitely needed. The two bridesmaids were solely for moral support for me too!

Rhubarb Tue 30-May-06 10:03:43

I had the whisky for moral support! I did have one erm, whaddya call it? Not bridesmaid but chief matron or summat like that! Anyway it was Custy and she just blubbed at the back of church! I felt as though it should have been me comforting her! Mind you, I can kinda see her point now, if I'd have known then what I know now I would have blubbed too!

zippitippitoes Tue 30-May-06 10:05:24

THe groom?

to sign the register?

zippitippitoes Tue 30-May-06 10:06:19

sorry as a present, sounds quite nice to me!

BudaBabe Tue 30-May-06 10:07:42

lol at Rhubarb!! I still moan at people that they let me marry my DH - why didn't they stop me?. They say they didn't know me then but I don't accept that as an excuse!!

monkeytrousers Tue 30-May-06 10:09:19

That's alright then, DP was getting paranoid

Medea Tue 30-May-06 10:34:31

Were we at the same wedding on Sat, monkeytrousers--ushers all got pens.

alibubbles Wed 31-May-06 10:42:11

It's quite common to give a nice pen and a guest book as a present, so everyone can write somethging in the book as it is passed around. Never heard of it being an insult!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: