Talk

Advanced search

Calling anyone with 2+ kids ... what was the present you most appreciated when your 2nd baby was born?

(28 Posts)
PeskyPixie Sat 27-May-06 22:12:43

Evening all! I only have one daughter so can't draw on personal experience for this! Our friends have just had their second baby girl and since they have very generous family on both sides they will probably be showered with gifts as they were with their first ... I'm on a tight budget so can't manage anything too pricey. Any suggestions for something a little different?
<smiles hopefully>

lexiemum Sat 27-May-06 22:19:36

i loved the taggy blanket DD2 received.

PeskyPixie Sat 27-May-06 22:20:45

What's a taggy blanket?

Beauregard Sat 27-May-06 22:26:19

I was given a gorgeous duck comforter for dd2.
A taggie blanket is also a comforter!I cant do link but google-Babysleepshop.

PeskyPixie Sat 27-May-06 22:27:04

Ah ... ignore my last post - just found it on google. Thanks lexiemum...

2shoes Sat 27-May-06 22:29:21

i liked it best when someone gave something to dd but also a little something to ds.

PeskyPixie Sat 27-May-06 22:35:04

just been looking at Babysleepshop (thank you!)

And gifts for the older child was the other thing I meant to ask about - did many people do that?

GeorginaA Sat 27-May-06 22:35:16

Soft toys - they were one of the few things that weren't passed down to the next child as ds1 kept all his (where other toys he grew out of got reused!)

GeorginaA Sat 27-May-06 22:36:13

Oh yes, absolutely agree, loved it when someone thought to get ds1 something small too. Made a big difference for very little cost.

B8 Sat 27-May-06 22:42:28

My second is 5 months old. We were overwhelmed with the amount of gifts we received.The ones that instantly come to mind are:

a beautiful "Baby Journal"
an Early Learning gift card with the line because every girl needs a credit card

Actually one friend's best present was to take my oldest for an outing, giving us timwe with the little one. Also, judging by the amoung of time I spend in the big book shops with great children's sections and coffee, I actually think book tokens would be great as well(they now do "Taggies" soft books).

kid Sat 27-May-06 22:54:19

I was going to say that too 2shoes. DD was 3.4 when DS was born and I hated the idea of a newborn who wasn't aware of anything being swamped with gifts while DD looked on. Luckily a few people obviously thought the same so DD did get a few gifts (colouring in books, pencils)

For DS, I appreciated bigger sized clothes for as he very quickly grew out of the newborn outfits people had given him.

vickiyumyum Sat 27-May-06 22:56:44

nay present that is specifically for the new baby is nice. i enjoyed getting clothes for ds2 even though he had a few hand me downs from ds1 he didn't have that much and its nice to have new clothes for them. i remeber hating having handmedowns and i was the oldest, they came from my auntie who is 5 years older than me! so i only keep stuff that is immaculate for ds2 from ds1.
also things like baby toys, the blossom farm range in elc is nice or mamas and papas have a few special offers on for toys.
re pressie for the older sibling, it really depends on their age, if they were still quite young then yes i would get them a present stops any jealousy. just a token gift like a magazine or sweets (depending on parents view obviously) or a small book, if budget stretches to it a t-shirt with i'm the big brother/sister is nice.

jessicaandrebeccasmummy Sat 27-May-06 22:57:44

the bear Becky got from my bro and sil..... she loves it.... snuggles it most nights in bed and she's only 7 months old!

that and the allergy friendly pink bunny rabbit with soft teether ears from my dreaded MIL - for being the MIL from hell, the teething bunny has been a god send these past few weeks!

JanH Sat 27-May-06 22:58:17

When I had my second baby girl one of my (very grown-up!) friends brought pressies for me - body lotion etc. That was nice

Nightynight Sat 27-May-06 23:07:00

Having been through hard times, I sometimes give nappies.

jessicaandrebeccasmummy Sat 27-May-06 23:08:40

rabbit i was talknig about here

Just seen a lot more in the range on ebay, so will definately be buying a few more now!

PeskyPixie Sun 28-May-06 20:35:07

thanks for all suggestions now I just have to decide on something ... could take a while

cat64 Sun 28-May-06 20:38:44

Message withdrawn

SenoraPostrophe Sun 28-May-06 20:40:09

I was going to say a promise for several days cleaning/looking after dd.

But no-one gave me that

chatee Sun 28-May-06 20:41:55

have to second cat64's response

SenoraPostrophe Sun 28-May-06 20:42:03

but yes, of the real gifts we got, it was nicest when dd got something. Most people did get her something (she was in hospital at the time, bless her).

fattiemumma Sun 28-May-06 22:33:40

When i had dd a freind got them matching T shrts from Mothercre that said "im the big brother" and "im thelittle sister"

i know they arent particularly high fashion but it was nice that she remembered DS and he liked the fact that he also got a pressie. i think its easy for the first child to feel a bit pushed out so these were really nice. plus he loved showing off that he was the BIG borther to everyone.

Nemo1977 Sun 28-May-06 22:36:13

A sling and a taggy blanket here too.
DD loves her taggy and the freedom sling has been a life saver.

bettythebuilder Sun 28-May-06 23:27:12

How about baby feed wheel
Its new, so she won't have one, and it's cheap!

PinkTulips Sun 28-May-06 23:29:30

haven't had my 2nd yet but would really appreciate something for me, or the house as i have all the baby stuff i need. my aunt gave me a gorgeous photo frame and chocolates for dd's birth which was much appreciated

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: