Talk

Advanced search

police involvement when a child asaults another child

(18 Posts)
schnapps Sat 27-May-06 21:02:23

I vaguely remember reading a thread on here where a child had been physically hurt, and was left marked, by another child and there was some suggestion that such a thing could be reported to the police because asault is asault whether it involves children or adults.
Can anyone confirm this, or tell me it's rubbish please?

My dd (11) has had some big stones thrown in her face by another child (11)(completely unprovoked and with witnesses), there was lots of blood, and she has been left with a fat lip and has several cuts on her face. It has been done by a very nasty child who is well known for this sort of behaviour and my dd is scared to death to leave the house. Just wondering really, if I could threaten to report it to the police if it happens again?

Earlybird Sat 27-May-06 21:04:33

Oh, your poor dd. And you must be upset, furious and anxious to defend her! No idea about assault or involving the police, but think your first approach should be to the parents of the nasty child.

Rowlers Sat 27-May-06 21:06:46

Not sure about thread on here.
I know at my school a few years ago, some boys in my form threw a brick at a girl in my form and her mother contacted the police.
The boys were actually nice boys and their parents were mortified as were they when they realised the implications of what they had done.
Can you contact the police and ask what they advise?
This other child may be known to them already perhaps?
I'm sure someone will have much better advice!

saltire Sat 27-May-06 21:08:49

Something similar happened to my DS who is 8. He was hit twice round the head by an 11/12 year old girl. I went to the parents, and i told them if it happened again then i would go the police as it was assault. They were furious with her and grounded said child for a month. I was happy that they had dealt with it, and so far, she hasn't done anything else to my DS. Gives me no end of cheek mind, but hasn't harmed DS.

kid Sat 27-May-06 21:09:20

I'd contact the police for advice. Not sure if there is anything they can do, but there is no harm in checking.
Hope you DD is feeling better soon.

QE Sat 27-May-06 21:11:14

As the other child is over the age of 10 then the police would treat it as assault. They may only give a warning but it is assault whichever way you look at it.

Your poor dd, hope she feels better soon.

schnapps Sat 27-May-06 21:42:29

Thank you for the replies

I had a polite word with the mum and she didn't seem at all surprised, didn't say much, other than that she'll have a word. I've never met the parents before, so I've no idea what they're like or what they think/do about their child's bad behaviour.

I'm not going to contact the police, just wanted to know if I could threaten it if mum defended her daughter and refused to say anything to her. I'll just have to see what happens now, if the girl physically hurts my dd again, then maybe the family would take it more seriously if the police did have a word.

Hopefully the mum will give the girl a good telling off/grounding and it won't happen again [fringers crossed.

schnapps Sat 27-May-06 21:44:08

that was obviously meant to be [FINGERS crossed]

Gem13 Sat 27-May-06 21:53:14

There was a thread on here - I rather the person confirmed it herself - and they did contact the police.

I would ask the police for advice now just in case there is a next time.

Earlybird Sat 27-May-06 21:54:04

schnapps - sounds as if you've handled it well.

But, re-reading your original post....your dd has "several cuts" on her face? Does that mean the other child threw a stone, it hit, and then bent down picked up/threw more? Or was it simply one stone, or one handful of stones? If "only" one, it could conceivably be viewed as a prank gone terribly wrong. If more than one, I'd be much more concerned at the pre-meditated and vicious nature of it.

And personally, I'd be looking for a response from the mum along the lines of the one saltire got. From your description, the mum didn't seem surprised or very concerned. I'd want her to be shocked and upset, and I'd want to be reassured that serious consequences awaited the perpetrator.

Don't mean to get you all stirred up again if you feel it's dealt with....but, it is serious, as you well know...

SparklyGothKat Sat 27-May-06 21:56:13

My Ds was physically hurt at school, when a girl put a skipping rope round his neck and pulled it, he was left with marks. I did look into it and you can report it to the police, I threatened the school and said that if they didn;t sort it out I would report it. I took photos of his neck (just in case)

kid Sat 27-May-06 22:06:40

DS was also hurt at school when another child put a skipping rope around his neck causing the skin to break.
Seeing as DS and the other child were only 3, I couldn't really take it any further, I am very weary of the other child around DS though.

nothercules Sun 28-May-06 12:37:17

If an adult did this to me, I wouldnt hesitate to report it to the police. Children deserve the same. I would report it without a doubt.

nothercules Sun 28-May-06 12:37:41

A child of this age of course.

Freckle Sun 28-May-06 13:30:05

The age of criminal responsibility is 10, so the police would certainly be able to deal with this. Chances are they would just give the child a caution, but that might be enough to stop such behaviour in future.

DS2 was shot at with a BB gun (shoots pellets) by a rather nasty boy two years older than him. This child went to the same school and had been responsible for some nasty damage to DS2's elbow when he picked him up and dropped him onto the hard playground. His mother was apparently being called into school on a daily basis about the child's behaviour. At the time of the "shooting", I didn't take it any further (this happened out of school), but later wished I had. However, I was contacted after a couple of weeks by DS1's school saying the police were looking for a child with the same surname as ours so could they send them round to talk to me. They came round and it transpired that they were looking for this child as he had shot at other people who had made a complaint. I had no hesitation in telling them where he lived. The family has since moved away so I don't know what he's like now - although I was told by the dad of one of his fellow pupils (once he was at secondary school) that he'd been taken to court about it.

TwoToTango Sun 28-May-06 13:34:39

I think you did the right think to have a word with the parents. Just in case anything happens again though if it was me I would take a couple of photos of her face. If anything did happen again I would certainly tell the police - isn't it over the age of 10 that the police can get involved?

schnapps Sun 28-May-06 23:14:58

Thanks again for all the replies

It doesn't seem so bad today, I might have been a bit ott yesterday because I was so upset. Dd has two very small grazes on her face and a small bruise, and 2 small cuts on her lip, and the swelling has gone down.

I'm hoping that talking to the mum will be enough to keep the girl away from my dd, and that it won't happen again. I think that's the best thing all round because I don't know these people and don't know what repercussions there might be for me and dd if I did go to the police (it may well make them see it more seriously, but it could also cause them to want to cause trouble for me and dd), and dd will soon be going to secondary school with her.

I have taken photographs though, and won't hesitate to contact the police if the girl so much as threatens to hurt my daughter again.

Tortington Mon 29-May-06 00:19:06

they are culpable at 10. they can be ;prsocected at 10; loook love its te agoe of 10.; 10 it the aqge you canj do em for owt

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: