Talk

Advanced search

Please help me sort out my cat...

(29 Posts)
FrayedKnot Thu 25-May-06 14:35:05

Before I kill her..

And before your read this, PLEASE DON'T, if you are of a sensitive disposition...

And yes before anyone says it I know cats are horrible creatures who kill things for fun etc etc.

Dead mice on the doormat - I can cope with
Half dead birds with feathers all over the house - I can just about cope with
Jumping on the worktops at night with muddy feet so I have to hose them down with bleach every morning - I can just about cope with

But this morning I came down to find the kitchen covered in blood. I mean bloodbath. It was all over the floor, with ehr footprints in, all over the worktop (the bit where I do all the food prep), up the wall, over the window etc.

It took me about an hour of scrubbing with disinfectant to sort it.

I don;t know whetehr it was from a poor victim or even if another cat had been in and they were fighting (I assume the victim tbh).

I don;t know what to do..feeling very pathetic about it.

I really want her to become an outdoor cat but not if it means she gets run over or dies of frostbite.

Iklboo Thu 25-May-06 14:36:25

Has she been 'done'? I've heard it can calm down lady cats cos they don't feel the need to protect their kittens (eg you). Don't know how true that is though

FrayedKnot Thu 25-May-06 14:37:18

Yes she was spayed before her first season.

She's coming up for 4 and I had hoped she would calm down with age but she seems to be getting worse.

Jessajam Thu 25-May-06 14:50:40

I knew a family with 3 outdoor-only cats - it was rural location and they had a big garden - but they also had sheds with catflaps and blankets so the cats could have somewhere to shelter if it was too cold/wet for them. Nothing fancy, they kept the lawn mower etc in there too...cats seemed fairly happy. They were fed outside too.

tissy Thu 25-May-06 14:58:06

surely you would hear a cat fight in your kitchen?

how about keeping her in at night, with a litter tray?

FrayedKnot Thu 25-May-06 14:58:47

That's the kind of thing i was thinking of Jessajam. Only we have quite a small garden and live in a semi-urban area.

Just wondering if it could work.

There are a lot of otehr cats around and i'm concerned she won;t have anywhere to hide if she can't get inside, as a couple are bullying her.

I'm so torn. I can't put up with what happened last night but I do feel a duty to protect and look after her obviously.

SaintGeorge Thu 25-May-06 15:03:20

Our cat voluntarily became an outdoor one.

To be honest i think it was a combination of her age (16 or so) and the number of kids coming in the house. She was just pig sick of all the noise and fuss and gradually spent more and more time away from home.

She has a cat-flap into the garage plus one in a neighbours shed. She flits between us and the neighbours as the mood takes her. She hasn't been inside the house for over 6 months now.

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 15:05:10

Ours are indoors-only.

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 15:06:23

Also, keep your kitchen door closed.

Jessajam Thu 25-May-06 15:07:04

so are ours expat. I am haunted by litter trays...and so looking forward to ds crawling into one...

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 15:15:24

Jess,
I cleared floor space in the hall cupboard, then put one of those chain locks on the door, so it's held open at a distance small enough for a cat to squeeze through, but not a baby on all fours.

Jessajam Thu 25-May-06 15:19:03

spookily enough expat I have a cupboard on the landing in mind for just the same thing! I explained concept to DH who agreed it was good idea but has so far failed to empty said cupboard of all his defunct music gear to allow any progress! And no, i can't do it myslef cos they are gurtbighuge amplifier cabs that weigh more than I do...maybe I'll 'mention' it again!
would also mean we would no longer be able to hear the cats using the litter tray while lying in bed ...ahhh how romantic that is !!

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 15:21:46

Oh, and the pong!

This is not a very large living space, so we had to be creative when it came to the cats. This has worked for us.

Their food and water are behind a rattan screen in a corner - one that's attached to wall, but w/enough space so cats can get in. But NOT curious baby.

Jessajam Thu 25-May-06 15:35:00

yup...the scent greets us as we come in through the front door! And all our friends know when the cats have just done something nuclear cos they house smells of incense sticks!!!!

FrayedKnot Thu 25-May-06 15:41:20

I know keeping her in at night won't stop the killing completely because she has done it in the day before now. So she would have to be in 100% of the time.

At night she only has access to teh kitchen (too many episodes of prey being brought upstairs at dawn and her barfing on the carpet by my bed), with flap to outside.

We did live in a rented house for a while when she was inside because there was no cat flap, and she wouldn;t go out, but it was winter and she is a wuss in winter and hibernates.

So how to do I persuade her that a shed (we'll have to get one) is her new home...

SaintGeorge Thu 25-May-06 15:44:15

Start by feeding her in there.

Try putting the litter tray there too, or at least gradually moving it outside and then closer to the shed.

When you get the shed of course.

madmarchhare Thu 25-May-06 15:50:18

I definately wouldnt be having anymore of that crap in my kitchen if I were you. Out out out.

FrayedKnot Thu 25-May-06 15:54:12

The shed will have to named "Project DH" I think.

He hates the cat anyway so he will be keen.

nicnack2 Thu 25-May-06 16:06:01

i have a cat that was an indoor cat as she is missing a leg. DH hates it with a passion and the feeling is mutual with cat. Howev with the Birth of ds1 we had to let her out as we felt the she needed space away form babe. Since the 3yo ago is has spent more and more time out and now she is more or less an outdoor cat. She is fed outdoors and sleeps in a shed and a little hut DH made. She does come in on wet and cold nights but stays out the rest of the time. There other problem that was occuring was she may well of been feral befors i got her from the sspca and with the result of her accident is a bit strange and her toilet ettique in the house often did not involve her tray!.

lorina Thu 25-May-06 16:56:32

It always happens at the wrong time of day.Everyone rushing to get up and get off the school and work but first you have to clean up a feline re-enactment of the battle of the somme.
Getting in the clean ironing with his muddy paws is one trick I really hate.
But I would never get rid of him or expect him to live outside .He is a member of our family. None of us is sent to live in isolation in a freezing shed.
They do calm down alot after the age of about 8. Also the spring is the main time for them catching things.
If you really cant cope with him then maybe its kindest to get him a new home.

DumbledoresGirl Thu 25-May-06 17:03:03

Has someone suggested getting a cat flap that can be locked either so the cat can only come in or so they can only go out. That way you can decide to have your cat in all night, or out all night.

CarlK Thu 25-May-06 17:31:32

Put a bell on her collar

Piffle Thu 25-May-06 17:32:58

WE had this oncek, Charlie must have caught an artery with his teeth, blood everywhere.
Put the cat flap onto out only, they soon twig.

NoPearls Thu 25-May-06 18:02:32

You could get your cat one of these (and probably a mortgage to pay for it)!

suejonez Thu 25-May-06 18:07:40

Put a bell on her collar - she won't be able to stalk anything close enough to catch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: