Talk

Advanced search

How to get parents interested in Pre-school Commitee

(10 Posts)
Pernod Wed 24-May-06 21:00:06

Hi

My dd2 attends a brilliant pre-school which has 57 children in total. Unfortunatley most of the parents are very apathetic when it comes to helping out on the committee that runs the pre-school. Tonight we had a meeting where only 3 parents turned up. Does any-one have a ny good ideas about how to encourage more parents to get involved??

Orinoco Wed 24-May-06 22:03:52

Message withdrawn

tenalady Wed 24-May-06 22:08:54

Change meetings to daytime whilst kids are at school make it less formal. Cup of tea biscuits, buns. Ensure that what you are doing is not over the top and the minimum to keep things running smoothly and not over burdening some folk with more things to do.

brimfull Wed 24-May-06 22:10:21

I too have agreed to be treasure next term.Luckily we have filled all the posts,but apathy among all the others is common.I did think about organising a meal out for the mums of something like that,but it would probably be the usual people and not acheive anything.

tenalady Wed 24-May-06 22:11:24

Another good one is to charm parents verbally into joining in. Sending a letter home or a notice on the board is hardly making them feel sexy about signing up. Got to make them feel wanted not needed. Sorry but its the way of the world, its all in the marketing these days.

Pernod Thu 25-May-06 20:25:30

Thanks for all your suggestions, it's a tough one isn't it! I just can't understand why so many parents don't want to get involved.

Charlene1 Thu 25-May-06 21:13:29

Emphasise "social events" you could have, bribe them with wine, hold meetings in a pub etc if you all know each other well - people will see it more as a night out than a chore. My old playgroup committee meetings usually ended up in the pub. Enphasise that they'd have a say in running things e.g how to spend money, fundraiser planning, activities of their choice etc.
Have meetings at weekends if lots of people work.
HTH

WideWebWitch Thu 25-May-06 21:18:52

If some parents are on their second or third child they may feel they've done their bit with the first/other ones. I agree, make it less of a commitment, ask for volunteers to do smaller things. And emphasis that you will close unless x no of people volunteer to be on the committee by y date - because you will, you cannot run without one! You could see if there's anything useful on the pre school learning alliance site too. Perhaps you could ask people to be Co chair/co treasurer etc, it might make it a less onerous task.

naswm Thu 25-May-06 21:57:44

Good luck - this is a HARD task...

heavenis Thu 25-May-06 22:04:09

How about getting parents to come in and join in with a topic the children are doing,that way you can get them to break the ice with each other. Hold a coffe morning where people can just have a chat.
Our school held a pampering day, you could have you nails done etc but also learnt indian head massage etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: