Talk

Advanced search

My MIL is driving me nuts - is this the start of senile dementia?

(11 Posts)
ks Wed 24-May-06 17:45:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SOULGIRL Wed 24-May-06 17:53:06

Does she live alone or get out much? She could just be lonely.

Having said that my MIL is a complete fruit loop (ohh hope no one I know recognises me on here now!!)

ks Wed 24-May-06 17:59:56

zippitippitoes Wed 24-May-06 18:01:56

could she have had a drink? or be trying to be "young"?

tamum Wed 24-May-06 18:14:33

It doesn't sound very dementia-like to me, sorry. Too concerted an effort, really. Maybe she just really really likes Sophie Kinsella?

ks Wed 24-May-06 19:43:12

tamum Wed 24-May-06 20:14:07

<snort> It could be a new diagnostic test:

"Do you know who the Prime Minister is?"

"Do you like books by Sophie Kinsella?"

compo Wed 24-May-06 20:16:20

My Mil witters on endlessly about dh's childhood, what his old school friends are doing now, what her friends who I have never met are doing and so on and so on... It is so dull and tedious!!

Blandmum Wed 24-May-06 20:26:06

Doesn't sound like the start of dementia to me.

When my Mum started to become demented she would saysomething, and then almost immediatly repeat herself. If you questioned this you would get a totaly OTT response. In fact questioning her in any way would often elicit a huge over reaction.

She became very odd about money, hiding it in the house, she was convinced that my brother had stolent money from her...this was eluded to in vague indirect ways, she would never come right out and say things. She also became confused at the value of money and the cost of items....at this point I feel she was begining to draw back into the past.

She became chaotic about dress and eating, food would be left to sopil in the fridhe, clothes left unwashed for many weeks.

Eventualy she began not to recognise people....not even her children or her own sister. Initialy she would 'click back' and would recognise people, she was rather good at covering these absences. Gradualy the periods of vacantness would increase and she hasn't recognised me for around 3 years.

I think what are are describing is more the self obcession that affects a lot of older people. they sometimes tend to assume that what facinates them is equally riviting for everyoe else Whith my elderly aunt it is the satae of her bowels so be thanfull for small mercies it is only chic lit shit (smile]

hockeymum Thu 25-May-06 08:55:45

martianbishop - thanks for that description of dementia. My mum is staying this week to "help" with the baby and I've serious concerns about her mental state now. It's useful to hear someone else's story - with my mum its not turning the gas off on the hob, putting soap on her toothbrush, forgetting how to get to our drive (right in front of the house) etc. Both me and dh have really noticed it this week as she is staying.

However, she is "with it" enough to realise that MIL was very helpful when she stayed for the last 2 weeks and wanting to be the same so asking to stay herself this week. However, it has left me feeling I've got 3 children to look after rather than my usual 2.

KS - try putting her on speaker phone so you can carry on doing your own thing while she reads you her book at bedtime! - or give her a copy of Charlie and Lola and my phone number, she can read it to my dd to save me time!! I think they do genuinely forget how busy mums are when they blabber on for hours on the phone.

lorina Thu 25-May-06 11:13:54

ks trust your instincts. I knew my MIL was 'changing' but the whole rest of the family were in denial about it.
She has full blown altzheimers now and doesnt know who dh is.He never had a chance to say 'goodbye' to her because FIL did such a good job of covering things up until it was too late.
One of her earliest signs was sudden out of character chattiness(she had always been very reserved).

I hope there is another explanation for your MIL, but i can give you details if you'd like

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: