Talk

Advanced search

paint colour recommendation please

(13 Posts)
mommie Wed 24-May-06 12:52:04

we want a shade of white for the living room, not dissimilar to magnolia. not too yello or to beige. wondering about almond white (dulux) or cream white or winterbloom (crown). anyone any experience of these or any recommendations? colour charts are making me go mad

mommie Wed 24-May-06 12:52:52

sorry - can spell yellow honestly

southeastastra Wed 24-May-06 13:09:53

Dulux paints are really expensive. I've done loads of rooms in plain boring magnolia, but the paint from wickes was cheap compared to the dulux ones. I always find these colours look magnolia anyway!
I once painted my living room blood red it was lovely!

littlerach Wed 24-May-06 13:11:40

Natural wicker or natural calico, both Dulux I htink.

We mad eth emistake of using a cheap brand once and had to put on 3 coats. Never agin!

melrose Wed 24-May-06 13:12:12

Farrow and Ball do lovely colours, our hall is matchstick which is nice and warm

Waswondering Wed 24-May-06 13:12:39

We've just painted the lounge "natural wicker" from Dulux, and the nursery "Buttermilk" by B&Q own make. DH said there was no comparison between the two - go for Dulux definitely! You need fewer coats.

We painted several sheets of A4 paper with tester pots, and pinned them to the wall for a week or so to see how the colours faired in different natural lights. We preferred the natural wicker. It's really magnolia by another name, though . . .

nicnack2 Wed 24-May-06 13:14:24

natural hesin by Dulux (just cream really) looks fresh

mommie Thu 25-May-06 12:36:57

great suggestions thanks. best friend also recommended farrow and ball, but they are not cheap! other shades sounded nice...have logged them all for other rooms.

brimfull Thu 25-May-06 12:51:24

depends an what colour the existing wall is.We have the kitchen painted natural calico and put the same on the lounge which is all open plan now.Because the lounge walls were previously orange(well it was trendy...once),we had to put a more yellowy cream to make it look the same as the natural calico.

MrsBadgerTheCelloPedaller Thu 25-May-06 13:02:36

ooh, WasWondering, we have B&Q Buttermilk in the spare room - tis quite yellow though.

We painted out living room is lovely light latte kind of colour (which I think sounds a bit like what you're looking for, mommie) but I can't remember the name or make at all - was a store own brand though (B&Q, Homebase or Wickes Premium-type), but gave a good finish with two coats. We were painting over a very similar colour though.
Will check in the garage later and let you know what it was!

mommie Thu 25-May-06 14:28:07

in the end we went for soft linen by crown; do agree tho, the previous wall colour makes a lot of difference. we couldn't do farrow and ball as our decorator doesn't use that brand (without charging a lot extra)

Twiglett Thu 25-May-06 14:30:03

just done our hall in almond white and really like it .. its a lovely warm creamy white

however you have to paint a patch and live with it in your house for a couple of days and se if you like it in all types of light

Twinkie1 Thu 25-May-06 14:39:57

Our house is all Fired Earth Paints (crap with kids!!) - but really lovely colours - lots of magnoliaesque colours in their brochure - v expensive though - next house we are using the lifestyle ones you can scrub greasy finger prints off of!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: