Talk

Advanced search

electric blanket for great gran who is slighlty incontinent???will she frazzle??

(6 Posts)
brimfull Mon 22-May-06 13:50:59

My dh's gran has always used an electric blanket.She's starting to become quite forgetful but still manages to live on her own.
The community nurse and dh's dad have decided it's not safe for her to use one anymore but she's now in a real tizzy about it.She was in tears and saying she can't sleep because of it.
Now, I realise she's overreacting butas she's so upset, was wondering if there was a way she could still have an electric blanket.She says she turns it off at night.
Anyone know anything that could help?

brimfull Mon 22-May-06 17:43:34

bump someone must have an incontinent gran

SaintGeorge Mon 22-May-06 17:52:20

I think you can get special blankets that just go over the foot area. Might be safer - and with that cosy toes feeling you hardly notice the rest of the blanket isn't there.

Certainly don't think it is a good idea to use a full blanket anymore. Although she is unlikely to electrocute herself, it is possible for the moisture to cause an electrical shortage and cause a fire.

Laura032004 Mon 22-May-06 18:16:23

What about putting a timer on the plug, so it was definitely switched off before she goes to bed?

tamum Mon 22-May-06 18:21:11

I know it's not the same, but maybe you could get her a couple of those hot water bottles that are filled with gel, and you heat in the microwave? They'd be perfectly safe, and might help.

brimfull Mon 22-May-06 22:04:24

sorry I'm so late to reply,thanks for those great ideas.I'll tell dh about them.
thanks so much guys!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: