Talk

Advanced search

At what age do you take your child to get a professional haircut?

(17 Posts)
Socci Sat 20-May-06 20:23:41

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sat 20-May-06 20:24:54

Luckily, my SIL will be a fully qualified hair dresser in August.

She does DD1s hair in exchange for us sitting for her kids 2x/month whilst she goes out.

Socci Sat 20-May-06 20:32:47

Message withdrawn

Gloworm Sat 20-May-06 20:34:04

what age is she?

Mercy Sat 20-May-06 20:36:59

dd was 15 months and loved it (knife and fork job at home before that), ds was about 10 months - loads of hair - and hated it. Roles have now reversed.

Get a dry or wet cut.

foxinsocks Sat 20-May-06 20:38:53

I still do my kids (age 4 and 5) but am thinking of taking dd to a hairdresser because her hair is so thick and curly (she's 5). Ds is easy because I can use the clippers.

FrayedKnot Sat 20-May-06 20:40:09

I have taken DS for a dry cut since he was about 14 months I think.

No way would I tackle it myslef, it's wavy and there's lots of it, I would make suhc a mess of it.

Socci Sat 20-May-06 20:45:35

Message withdrawn

FrayedKnot Sat 20-May-06 20:50:28

My Mum did me one like Black Adder once. I was 14

hulababy Sat 20-May-06 21:05:26

DD (4y1m) has been going ever since she had enough hair to justify it - just before 2 years old I think. DD adores going to the hairdressers and the girls there are so great with her - they now dry her hair and flick it all out for her. She thinks she is very grown up

nicnack2 Sat 20-May-06 21:07:51

bout 1yo now nearly 3 loves the pampering

2mum Sun 21-May-06 09:38:06

My sons 3 and has been once months ago, ended up with half a haircut cos he squirmed and screamed so much.. Hes since been diagnosed with Autism. I hold him and use winnie the pooh shearers, and he screams the house down its either that or let him grow his hair long.

Waswondering Sun 21-May-06 09:48:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kidstrack Sun 21-May-06 09:52:03

ds was 8m when i first had him at hairdresser and dd was 6m, both born with lots of dark hair that covered their ears a bit like baby monkeys now ds just gets clippers and dd goes to hairdresser every six wks that costs me £8, many hairdressers have cut dd hair so uneven because its so thick, she is 3 in 2 weeks

Arabica Sun 21-May-06 23:47:11

DS was 2 when he had long enough hair for a cut. We took him and his best friend to a posh kids' hairdressers and they got a certificate, a photograph and a lock of cut hair tied with red ribbin!

eidsvold Mon 22-May-06 05:18:35

dd1 had hers at a local hairdressers when she was about 1 - had a mop of hair that needed tidying up. Dd2 is now 18 months and nowhere near needing a hair cut.

i recently cut dd1's hair - but she has it all one length and I did a wet cut after her hair had been washed - jsut started with one area and cut slowly across checking as I went it was straight. Dh entertained her and kept her still for me..... probably not perfectly straight but her hair grows so thick and would be sooo long without regular cutting ( she is almost 4 now) Most of the time it is up in a ponytail or bunches to stop it annoying her anyway.

coppertop Mon 22-May-06 06:19:46

Ds1 was almost 4yrs old when I frst took him to the hairdresser. He had curly hair so it didn't really matter too much if it wasn't cut evenly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: