Talk

Advanced search

Would you go to an adult party that...

(25 Posts)
Twiglett Fri 19-May-06 12:48:54

had a dance lesson involved .. like ceroc (which is a kind of jive and easy to pick up basics in half an hour) .. you get a line of blokes then a line of girls you do the steps with your partner then the girls move on so everyone dances with everyone in the lesson

then you get to boogie if you want to

dancing not compulsory .. just a fun thing to do

alcohol and food in nice place .. most people know each other .. some won't ... some better than others

a celebratory party for a bunch of 30 and 40 year olds (mainly parents).. not a pay money to go party

or is it too forced?

Marina Fri 19-May-06 12:50:30

I'd go like a shot, dh would need his arm twisting but would go if commanded and then enjoy himself, unfortunately I think a lot of people might be mildly put off

FrannyandZooey Fri 19-May-06 12:50:32

Yes, I think it sounds fun, but I think many people would be mortified, unless all your friends are very outgoing types

How would you ever get enough men to stand up and dance though?

Twiglett Fri 19-May-06 12:51:04

what if you don't tell them until they show up .. or you only tell the girls?

Marina Fri 19-May-06 12:51:13

By taking away their drinks until rugs had been cut I guess F & Z

expatinscotland Fri 19-May-06 12:51:47

I'd go after the dancing finished.

Marina Fri 19-May-06 12:52:17

That is evil twiglett and a very sound strategy.
I think for maximum husband torturing this needs to be scheduled on July 9th in the afternoon

Frenchgirl Fri 19-May-06 12:53:53

I'd go, dh would moan a bit but he would dance and enjoy it.
We went to dd's cello teacher's wedding last august and they had something like that, it was great fun (kailegh dancing - no idea about spelling, sorry...)

Frenchgirl Fri 19-May-06 12:54:43

what's on July 9th??
am planning dd's bday party on that day

Twiglett Fri 19-May-06 12:56:15

DH and I never had a proper wedding reception and I'm going to turn ahem-ty next year .. so was thinking nice place, sit-down meal alcohol flowing and a bit of a giggle

normally find big parties quite dull with all the chit-chat ..

will keep thinking

more thoughts appreciated

Marina Fri 19-May-06 13:03:24

The World Cup Final FG. I think men have to be made to do sociable French dancing that day instead.

alexsmum Fri 19-May-06 13:04:33

absolutely ! sounds fun!

Marina Fri 19-May-06 13:05:08

Well I think for that special occasion reason Twig even the doubters/refuseniks will turn up and dance their socks off.
Best wedding reception I ever went to had cajun dancing with basic instruction first and was wonderful. Second best was a ceilidh in a church hall in Herefordshire.
Go for it.

brimfull Fri 19-May-06 13:05:12

sounds great

NomDePlume Fri 19-May-06 13:05:48

Yes I'd go. Dh would get up and have a bash too.

Frenchgirl Fri 19-May-06 13:05:54

is it really? had no idea, anything about football goes in one ear and comes out of the other instantly...
Guess it will be a small party then.....
Twiglett, I would go with the dancing, but not make a big thing out of it on your invites, then when everyone's had a couple of drinks you can spring it on them

Orlando Fri 19-May-06 13:09:12

Recently went to a belly-dancing party, but it was women only. A little stilted at first, but in the end everyone had a brilliant time, and the girl who was instructing us was amazing.

Think that, handled well (ie lots of booze, dim lights, loud music) would be a really fab do.

TambaTheDragonSlayer Fri 19-May-06 13:10:07

Sounds Fab to me

LadyPenelope Fri 19-May-06 13:10:49

Think it sounds like great fun ... don't think I'd tell people there would be lessons. Just say there will be food, drink and dancing ... and then when they turn up they will find out what kind. ceroc is so sexy ... (if it's what I think it is) ... all my french friends learnt at school and they are such fab dancers ... men and women. I'd love to have a go.

Auntymandy Fri 19-May-06 13:10:53

sounds a good idea!
have you planned it yourself Twig or got someone in?

earlgrey Fri 19-May-06 13:13:44

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Fri 19-May-06 13:14:12

PMSL at 'planning'

.. I was sitting here daydreaming and a momentary thought passed by my cortex .. something along the lines of .. "oo I'm going to be that old next year / wasn't our wedding in florence fun / haven't been to a good ol' drunken party for ages" .. then I logged on to mumsnet

motherinferior Fri 19-May-06 13:15:33

Also it would, er, how can I put it, be a good opportunity to boogie in close contact with attractive (one would hope) blokes with whom one was not yoked in domestic harmony, yet in a totally Above Board Manner.

arfy Fri 19-May-06 13:16:08

yes

have been to a party where there was a salsa teacher. even DH got up and tried!

it's really good fun

Auntymandy Fri 19-May-06 13:18:00

went to a friends wedding and they had a caleigh (sp) band that taught dancing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: