Talk

Advanced search

EUROVISION PARTY- what country should i go as?

(14 Posts)
ja9 Thu 18-May-06 19:32:53

Going to a pals party. Have to go dressed for a country and bring item of food / dring representing that country.

Last yr i went as denmark. Dressed in red & white and took some danish salami and olives.

Dh went as germany sporting a german football shirt. He took german beers and german sausage.

I don't even know what countries are in it this yr... can anyone help me out with country and ideas/

TIA

cod Thu 18-May-06 19:33:35

Message withdrawn

Californifrau Thu 18-May-06 19:40:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alex8 Thu 18-May-06 19:48:11

I am going as Ukraine, well very loosly that is. They had the Orange Revolution so am wearing as much of that colour as is possible. Luckily I don't have to bring food.

ja9 Thu 18-May-06 20:32:32

gr8 idea alex8

ja9 Fri 19-May-06 12:37:00

ok, i've decided to go as ireland. feel i have to personally welcome them back to the contest! So thats esay enough.

dh wants to go as FINLAND. Any food / drinks ideas for me?

Marina Fri 19-May-06 12:40:52

I wonder if dh wants to be Finland this year because they are fielding a death thrash metal band ?
Irish food...lovely Irish cheddar and Guinness?

ja9 Fri 19-May-06 12:45:13

lol! are finland the 'monster' band? perhaps he could take monster munch!!!

i've bought irish wheaten bread, irish cheddar &guinness.

what is traditional finnish? anyone know?

Marina Fri 19-May-06 12:48:41

Vodka and something dumpling-y/meatball-y I suspect. Smoked fish is popular in other Scandinavian countries but I think Finnish cooking is more influenced by the Russians than Western Europe.
Yes, that's them! I think they are hilarious. Am definitely watching this year.

ja9 Fri 19-May-06 12:51:21

dumplings? what are they again? will i get them in a standard supermarket? where abouts / what food are they likely to be with?

Marina Fri 19-May-06 13:45:39

I just had a thought ja9 - I think you could get away with something like blinis (little cocktail pancakes, v. popular in Russia with lumpfish/caviar on them and also cream cheese), I think they are also eaten in Finland.
IME you usually find fresh rollmops (pickled herring), blinis and lumpfish all in a chiller cabinet together with things like smoked salmon.
Dumplings are usually made with flavoured dough/suet pastry and stuffed with say, minced pork?
Sweet stuff - blueberries are very Northern Europe. Blueberry tart eg.

ja9 Fri 19-May-06 13:55:56

great idea marina!

i'll do blinis with cream cheese and smoked salmon! yum. i have heaps of smoked salmon in the freezer and it would be good to get some of it used up!

thanks!

yackertyyack Fri 19-May-06 14:20:45

ja9: If your husband is gonna be 'FINN' perhaps he doesn't eat 'nothfinn' and therefore you don't need to take 'nothfinn' Sorry I have a weird sense of humour!!!

cod Fri 19-May-06 18:46:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: