Talk

Advanced search

Laundry baskets - where are they situated in your house?

(179 Posts)
biglips Thu 18-May-06 10:21:41

as ive got one in our bedroom and i could do with another one in the kitchen for everyones or is that naff?

JackieNo Thu 18-May-06 10:23:24

Ours is in the bedroom too. Only got the one, but could really do with one for DD and DS (OTOH, then I'd probably forget to empty it).

NomDePlume Thu 18-May-06 10:23:57

1 our room
1 DD's room
1 DS1's room
1 DS2's room
1 in the utility - usually empty, I use it to bring the specific loads downstairs. The baskets in the bedrooms are just to keep the washing in one tidy (ish) place. They don't come out of the rooms

DumbledoresGirl Thu 18-May-06 10:24:27

One in the bathroom.

Blossomhill Thu 18-May-06 10:26:11

i have dirty washing basket in bathroom

then have ironing basket in my room

both are always full

what am i doing wrong? <sob>

biglips Thu 18-May-06 10:26:50

as i could do with one in the bathroom but bathroom too small and thats the smallest room in the house

please vote for me - Landing (got a very wide landing) or kitchen?

zippitippitoes Thu 18-May-06 10:26:57

not unfortunately in the same place as people leave washing

Kelly1978 Thu 18-May-06 10:28:41

landing, wouldn't put it in kitchen personally. I've got one in bathroom. Did think about the landing here, but the twins would push it down the stairs.

NomDePlume Thu 18-May-06 10:29:15

Basically, I carry my empty basket into all the rooms and take out the relevant bits of laundry from each bin (darks/whites/coloureds etc), then I take the full basket downstairs and stick it in the machine, et voila.

charliecat Thu 18-May-06 10:30:11

I use one of those woven reed trunk things and its in the front room But theres nowhere else to put it, and unless theres a stray sock hanging out the side you wouldnt know

DumbledoresGirl Thu 18-May-06 10:30:23

Before I had a bathroom big enough, I had mine on the landing. Surely you want it near the place where clothes will be taken off? For me, that is upstairs, not in the kitchen. But you maybe see it differently.

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 10:31:08

1 in our room and the children both have a laundry bag hanging on the back of their bedroom doors. Then I have a couple of those fold up plastic baskets to transport the washing down and clean stuff back up.

PanicPants Thu 18-May-06 10:32:12

1 laundry basket in bathroom and then I transfer the clothes into a wicker washing basket to take downstairs to put in machine, and then use it again to hang clothes to dry, and then it lives in the spare bedroom.

acnebride Thu 18-May-06 10:33:22

2 in ds's room, one for whites and one for everything else. When necessary i take a big armful out and chuck it down the stairs. ds enjoys helping with this. So far he has not worked out that he could chuck laundry down the stairs at other times.

blossomhill - get everyone into overalls while at home, and embrace the manly tang of BO - let's go back to doing a lot less washing like they did before washing machines. Or nudism I suppose, but not today, it's chucky chip chop freezing here.

Bozza Thu 18-May-06 10:41:24

We just have one in the en-suite because the main bathroom is too small.

jura Thu 18-May-06 10:54:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cod Thu 18-May-06 10:56:09

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 18-May-06 10:57:20

Message withdrawn

acnebride Thu 18-May-06 10:58:08

cos i like keeping my whites and coloureds separate

cod Thu 18-May-06 10:58:37

Message withdrawn

oliveoil Thu 18-May-06 11:01:03

1 in our bedroom.

When the girls have a bath, I collect heaps off the floor and put the dirty clothes in, and dh leaves his on a pile next to the basket.

I do a wash every day, or if it is sunny at w/ends I try and get all the bedding done and am a washer woman extraordinaire.

jura Thu 18-May-06 11:02:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaintGeorge Thu 18-May-06 11:02:30

I have a big one stood right next to the washing machine in the kitchen. If it isn't in the basket, it doesn't get washed.

I got really fed up of collecting stuff from all over the house just to be screamed at when stuff wasn't washed (hiding under bed) or was in the wash when they wanted it (well I just threw it on the floor in a hurry mum, haven't worn it yet!).

NomDePlume Thu 18-May-06 11:03:49

Cod, what if you have more than one bathroom ? The one basket system doesn't work in that case.

Bozza Thu 18-May-06 11:06:27

It does ndp. The kids have legs. I send them round to the basket in the en-suite with their clothes at bathtime or their pjs in the morning. Have got DD (2) trained up now. In her younger days she used to be putting shoes etc in as well. . Like she used to put raisin packets in the dishwasher.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: