Talk

Advanced search

Saddle me a verb, it's a Prescott verbal stampede

(13 Posts)
JoolsToo Tue 16-May-06 22:51:07

Was watching 'Never Mind the Full Stops' on BBC3 tonight with Julian Fellowes - never seen it before - quite funny. It's about grammar and the English language.

they mentioned this article by Simon Hoggart from 2002 so I just had to google it. A lot of you may have read at the time - I thought it was hilarious!

suejonez Tue 16-May-06 22:55:48

Lol, will go off to bed giggling now. Thanks

edam Tue 16-May-06 22:59:37

Hoggart is always good value, but the constant carping about Prescott's speech always sounds like snobbery. Like the pathetic Tory MPs who think it is funny to pretend to call him over, like a wine waiter, because he started out as a ship's steward. I'm no fan of Prezza but the fact is he didn't have an expensive education – he actually worked for his living, and then put himself through further education with trade union assistance.

Of course, the swine has completely betrayed his roots and has a nasty habit of putting his hands up women's skirts.

JoolsToo Tue 16-May-06 23:02:28

I like the Mottram quote

JanH Tue 16-May-06 23:03:30

mmm, agree that Simon H is good value despite having shagged the Blunkett woamn from the Spectator (have forgotten her name, how shaming, not)

Yes, Prescott's English leaves a lot to be desired but I have a v fond memory of a Doonesbury thread in the E Kennedy days "a verb, Senator, we need a verb!"

marthamoo Tue 16-May-06 23:05:23

Kimberley Quinn, Janh.

marthamoo Tue 16-May-06 23:06:08

But you know, you can not have an expensive education and still be articulate...

JanH Tue 16-May-06 23:06:31

Oh thank you, moo, dear

(Brain = pea these days!)

marthamoo Tue 16-May-06 23:13:36

It's your age, my love

edam Tue 16-May-06 23:14:01

Yes, but there's something particular about the way politicians and journalists sneer at Prezza's use of language – tied in with the point about Tory MPs finding it amusing to call 'steward'. After how many decades in parliament?

CristinaTheAstonishing Tue 16-May-06 23:15:52

Had a good laugh. I'll have to show it to DH in the morning.

marthamoo Tue 16-May-06 23:17:00

That's Tory MPs for you though, isn't it? You can take a boy out of Public School but you can't...

JoolsToo Tue 16-May-06 23:36:27

I think we've seen that John can take care of himself edam.

He's having the last laugh now isn't he?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: