Talk

Advanced search

Techie question - MS Works converter anyone?

(10 Posts)
Polgara2 Tue 16-May-06 10:40:08

Does anyone know which converter I need to read a MS Works document in Word XP? Have looked on microsoft site but am obviously too thick to work out which one I need . Help anyone??? Need it quite urgently.

Nonyummymummy Tue 16-May-06 11:34:07

I think you can get an eval version of this but it does display a logo in the converted doc but you should still be able to read it.

http://www.rl-software.com/index.htm

Polgara2 Tue 16-May-06 11:58:04

Thanks but I have file ext of .wps which doesn't seem to be included on that website . Why is nothing straightforward when I do it?

NoPearls Tue 16-May-06 12:06:05

Do you need to convert it? Won't Word recognise it as a fellow microsoft text document and open it for you? I haven't got both on my machine so can't try, but would do:

Start Word
Open - find relevant folder where the works document is
At the bottom of the open box where it says File Type change it to either All Files, or you have Works and the version number
The file should then appear
Click on it in the list
Click on Open

Sorry if you've tried this already!

Or

If you are only interested in the content, uou could go to Works and save the file as a text file, then go to Word and open that?

Polgara2 Tue 16-May-06 12:09:24

NP - have tried opening in Word via all files but says it needs file converter! Haven't got Works at all I'm afraid. There must be some way I can convert it to a text document but can't just think how at the moment. Its probably obvious but aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggghhh!!!

NoPearls Tue 16-May-06 12:24:38

Do you know anyone with Works? Could you email it to them and get them to open it and email it back to you as a text file?

Bet you thought this was going to be a simple little job you'd just get done before a nice cup of coffee...

Polgara2 Tue 16-May-06 12:27:07

AHA have eventually found converter on Microsoft site! Fingers crossed now .

NoPearls Tue 16-May-06 12:31:59

And...

Polgara2 Tue 16-May-06 12:33:29

EUREKA Thanks for 'being there'!!!!

NoPearls Tue 16-May-06 12:34:02

Phew!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: