Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone else read India Knight's article on watching tv?

(18 Posts)
oliveoil Tue 16-May-06 09:44:58

breath of fresh air

serenity Tue 16-May-06 09:48:21

I love this woman

oliveoil Tue 16-May-06 09:50:11

I love her too.

I just think you always read tons of articles about how baaaaad tv is, when in moderation it is fine.

I just wish my two would watch the damn thing so I could get some peace, they last about 2 mins and then follow me to which ever room I have esacped to.

I also love Justin and he used to really annoy me, bizarrely.

hunkermunker Tue 16-May-06 09:51:38

ROFL at nobody ever got pregnant watching CBBC

Agree utterly with her re The Tweenies.

TV's great. Love it.

acnebride Tue 16-May-06 09:52:42

i'd agree with her about learning from telly - which is why i'm even more paranoid about what ds watches!

SSSandy Tue 16-May-06 09:57:29

Nice article! I'm one of the tv is bad for you brigade. I try not to ever let dd watch it but switch it on myself as soon as she's in bed and flake out on the sofa for hours flicking back and forth trying to find something half way decent to watch (rarely find anything though).

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 10:04:12

Well personally I would not try to discourage a 2.5 year old from getting up at 3am by putting the TV on....

oliveoil Tue 16-May-06 10:09:53

lol bozza

Yes I did frown at that bit, er put him back in bed then love. It went on for 6 months!!!!

But I remember when dd1 decided 5.45am was an absolutely spiffing time to get up and thinking to myself 'praise the Lord, Cbeebies starts in a minute'.

Caligula Tue 16-May-06 10:17:34

Great article.

And from India Knight too.

themoon66 Tue 16-May-06 10:28:14

Years ago (approx 18) when my first DD was a toddler, she used to get up without waking mummy and daddy, and creep downstairs and watch tv quietly.

One morning she came in our room in a panic 'quick, quick, the telly won't work'!!!

DH staggers bleary-eyed without contact lens, downstairs into lounge. At this point the screen on the telly lights up with the channel 4 logo and the voice over 'programmes will resume on channel 4 at 4.30am'.

I've never seen DH chase a 2 year old back to bed so quick, with the word 'get back to bed, its the middle of the blooming night'!

BonyM Tue 16-May-06 10:37:02

themoon!

Yes, I love India Knight's articles. Can remember Cbeebies being an absolute godsend when Dd1 was small and I was feeling under the weather - could lie on the sofa half dozing and know that she wasn't getting into any trouble! Am just waiting for dd2 to be old enough to be transfixed by it .

Having said that, I am very similar to Sssandy in that I'm not a big fan of TV for children and certainly wouldn't let them watch it for hours on end, and am selective about what they watch.

Always thought though that an hour after school/nursery is/was good chillout time after a busy day.

Angeliz Tue 16-May-06 10:41:49

So nice to hear that view for a change rather than how terrible all Mothers of today are

arfy Tue 16-May-06 10:44:53

I've just read her article about her daughter's birth and treatment and made myself cry - mind you had just been to Amazon to investigate the vile book being talked about on another thread so was already setting myself up for a weep

I let DD (17months) watch some CBeebies, and I do find myself feeling guity

oliveoil Tue 16-May-06 11:00:23

I read the OP and skimmed that thread and couldn't bring myself to read it, talk of hitting small babies, no thank you .

themoon66 Tue 16-May-06 11:15:53

oliveoil...... hitting babies???? who on earth is saying this is ok??

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 11:16:42

think olive has posted on the wrong thread.

oliveoil Tue 16-May-06 11:27:55

no I haven't!, I was responding to arfy's post about the Amazon thread also running on here which I couldn't read.

It is nothing to do with the IK article however, I grant you that.

arfy Wed 17-May-06 00:34:51

oh it's my fault for rambling

have been having a very bad day and so was just confusing matters here by explaining - badly - why I was crying

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: