Talk

Advanced search

bikes- towbar or tagalong?

(7 Posts)
hovely Tue 16-May-06 09:11:14

DD's new school will be too far to walk, so I am thinking about how to get her there.
she is not great on a bike, unconfident and not very well balanced, but on the other hand she does have a bike which is a good size for her.
so maybe a towbar is a good option
or would you get a tagalong?
how easy are they respectively to undo and leave behind at the school? or do they just fold down onto the back wheel?
and what about DS (2) who usually needs to come along as well?
any general tips please

nickiey Tue 16-May-06 09:16:36

Well if you have 2 to consider it does limit you a bit i think. We have a tagalong for my ds which he has ridden well since he was about 3 however the pavement can be tricky as you are so long and cumbersome and roads at rush hour terrifying.
Up unti then he was in a baby seat on the back which worked fine. if you need to move 2 then how about a trailer which they can sit in or if you think dd would benefit from the exercise (which imo all kids would, gets them ready for a day of learning) then could she ride on the pavement herself (is she on stabilisers or not?) and you have ds in the chair on the back of your bike?

nickiey Tue 16-May-06 09:16:36

Well if you have 2 to consider it does limit you a bit i think. We have a tagalong for my ds which he has ridden well since he was about 3 however the pavement can be tricky as you are so long and cumbersome and roads at rush hour terrifying.
Up unti then he was in a baby seat on the back which worked fine. if you need to move 2 then how about a trailer which they can sit in or if you think dd would benefit from the exercise (which imo all kids would, gets them ready for a day of learning) then could she ride on the pavement herself (is she on stabilisers or not?) and you have ds in the chair on the back of your bike?

hovely Tue 16-May-06 09:53:05

thanks nickiey
I feel we are sort of in between stages, the trailer is incredibly heavy with both children in it, but I suspect DD is going to be too tired to ride home. Oh well, all stages pass.

fennel Tue 16-May-06 09:56:14

we considered both and have just ordered a trailgator (towbar). we plan to use it mostly with dd2, age 4, on longer cycle rides and where there's too much traffic for her to cycle alone. she's a really good cyclist, which is why we went for the bar rather than the tagalong - she is fine cycling by herself where it's safe enough. if she was not keen on cycling herself, we'd have got the tagalong.

the bar folds up so an adult can carry on cycling with it on their bike having dropped child and their bike at school for example.

hovely Tue 16-May-06 21:45:30

thanks fennel
i somehow thought you might know something about this subject, you seem very 'green-minded'

fennel Wed 17-May-06 12:54:14

we think you can probably use a child seat with either a tagalong or trailgator, for a younger child. we plan to try with dd2 towed behind and dd3 in child seat on the same bike. but this may be ambitious. trailers are no good for us, roads and cycle paths not wide enough or too trafficky. we have quite narrow cycle paths round here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: