Talk

Advanced search

Had an idea for a product - what do i do now.

(24 Posts)
jellyjelly Mon 15-May-06 12:48:50

had an idea for a product but what do i do now. patent it?

zippitippitoes Mon 15-May-06 12:52:41

unlikely as that is very expensive and does not necessarily have the effect you want..unless you have a very lucrative prospect...

jellyjelly Mon 15-May-06 12:54:55

ok then any other ideas?

zippitippitoes Mon 15-May-06 12:58:19

is it something you need help preparing for manufacture..do you anticipate making it yourself or convincing a company to produce it, is it mass market appeal or small niche, do you know how much it will cost to make, do the component parts have to be specially made, do you have the skills to make it work as your own business

jellyjelly Mon 15-May-06 13:09:08

Am already a childminder so know about running a small business. It is something fro pregnant ladies who have just given birth so could be big but will need work. Dont think i can make it myself.

zippitippitoes Mon 15-May-06 13:17:50

It might be that you could register the design but you really need professional consultation..have you tried business link for advice and possible grant help depending on your age and the product and the area you live. Also these people or something similar

jellyjelly Mon 15-May-06 13:21:37

To register is that to stop someone else using it?

Belo Mon 15-May-06 13:41:04

There's an organisation called NESTA which helps people with ideas. You can get a grant and advice about how to get it patented and made.

Belo Mon 15-May-06 13:43:50

NESTA

bettythebuilder Mon 15-May-06 13:48:28

Patent office may be worth trying to check and see if anyone else has thought of it and registered it.
Business link can often be a bit vague with advice but may be able to point you towards other organisations, iyswim.
Working lunch (BBC2) often do features on people who invent things, and you can see some of the archived programmes on their website - might also be worth a try. A while ago they featured a company that helps inventors make prototypes of their inventions - can cost a few thousend, though.

zippitippitoes Mon 15-May-06 13:52:19

ACID anti copying in design may be useful too

The Prince's Trust etc if you are the right age.

bettythebuilder Mon 15-May-06 13:54:56

from what I gather about the patent process, if your idea uses other parts that have already been registered (ie my idea used a disabled/parking disk that has already been patented) then you can only register the design. On the plus side this much cheaper (c£60)
However, if your idea is something completely new and different you will have to take out a full patent, and this will require a prototype and lots of money!

bettythebuilder Mon 15-May-06 13:57:36

That acid link looks interesting, zippi - has anyone had any dealings with them? (sorry for hijack, jellyjelly)

jellyjelly Mon 15-May-06 14:07:09

Do any of you know the patent people where i can check for it?

bettythebuilder Mon 15-May-06 14:23:23

here

jellyjelly Mon 15-May-06 14:45:01

thanks

zippitippitoes Mon 15-May-06 14:45:49

good luck by the way

you could apply to the Dragons Den

jellyjelly Mon 15-May-06 15:00:34

Do any of you know about the princes trust and how young you have to be?

zippitippitoes Mon 15-May-06 15:02:18

Princes trust it will be on here

there is another one as well which I can't recall at the moment something like young entreorebueurs

bettythebuilder Mon 15-May-06 15:29:41

And theres something called Wire (I think, something about women in rural enterprises,) if you are in a country location.

zippitippitoes Mon 15-May-06 15:34:58

and this shell live wire

jellyjelly Mon 15-May-06 16:22:22

so effing annoyed now, i asked a company if they had a product that i wanted, they didnt so i thought i would make it and now they have started making it with thanks to me on their website. So annoyed now.

zippitippitoes Wed 17-May-06 16:23:59

was that this product then? pita

bettythebuilder Wed 17-May-06 18:07:51

yes, I've been dying to know who nabbed your idea!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: